Official Review: Splendid Shore by Linda Thorndike

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Official Review: Splendid Shore by Linda Thorndike

Post by Kibet Hillary »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Splendid Shore" by Linda Thorndike.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Cynthia and Hardy, her first cousin, have been close friends since childhood. No matter how hard she tries, it seems her heart is constantly being drawn to Reginald, who is relatively poor. Nevertheless, Cynthia is after money, as she has grown accustomed to a luxurious lifestyle. She is thrilled that her aunt, Natty, used her talent to marry a rich man. Her dazzling beauty is a valuable asset, and like Reginald, men are enamored of her looks. Additionally, her cousin Hardy is excessively obsessed with her. His journal contains gifts that Cynthia ever mentioned in their talks, and he is ready to pamper her. He has a plan to bring his cousin closer to him. It is a complex situation. Will Reginald finally be with the girl he has been in love with for ages?

Splendid Shore introduced me to fascinating, gray characters, which is brilliant because the book is primarily character-driven. Linda Thorndike, the author, sufficiently demonstrates that even characters who swim against societal tides can be delightful. It was enthralling how the author excellently developed each character distinctly, making them both fascinating and relatable. Equally, the lively dialogues made it easy to be inside the story. Further, the picturesque descriptions of the primary setting, the Lake in Wisconsin, and other travel destinations were so vivid that I could visualize them.

The other intriguing aspect was the revelation of the motives behind the characters’ choices. In as much as one could pity Reginald, Cynthia’s decision was also understandable. They were part of a small community where friendship was largely influenced by one’s background, money, and social standing. The fact that the characters had to struggle with the consequences of their choices made the story believable. Reginald’s love for Cynthia continued growing. Cynthia, on the other, felt attracted to him and would always think of informing Reginald about any news first. They were unimmune to the dilemma that accompanies internal battles, especially when it comes to heart matters.

Apart from romance, other themes were family, friendship, loss, and travel. These were masterfully interwoven to generate a gripping book with simple, mesmerizing characters. Splendid Shore contains twists and turns that will keep one enthralled down to the concluding chapter. The last chapter leaves the reader with a few questions that will undoubtedly provoke serious thinking. Apart from a few errors, there is nothing negative about the book.

I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. The grammatical errors did not warrant a lower rating, as they are few and minor. In addition, I found the other aspects of the book appealing. I recommend the book to all ardent readers of historical romance fiction. There are no explicit scenes, and I only encountered borderline cuss words.

Splendid Shore
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: Public Hostage Public Ransom by William Bronston MD

Post by El_limitless »

Interesting plot. I'd love to know who finally won the heart of Cynthia, Hardy or Reginald. Great review.
Peace Odii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-odii.html
Latest Review: Justin's Quest by Winsome Board

Post by Peace Odii »

I could see her dazzling beauty on the book's cover.
Pallavi Lakra
Currently Reading: Apotheosis Now
Bookshelf Size: 44

Post by Pallavi Lakra »

Sounds like this book would take one back to their childhood trip during summers.
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

It sounds like this book presents a wide range of themes throughout. Thanks for the great review!
Archaeoptery
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-archaeoptery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Archaeoptery »

I am sorry but what? Being cousins Cynthia and Hardy are blood related...Won't that throw the whole thing off? Because of that it would end up Reginald being the choice. Anyway this book is not interesting to me.

Return to “Historical Fiction”