Official Review: Dark Trades by Ken Harris

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
BookBoyP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookboyp.html
Latest Review: Purges of the Soul by Cathy S Birn

Official Review: Dark Trades by Ken Harris

Post by BookBoyP »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dark Trades" by Ken Harris.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever heard the phrase, "Your life could change in one day?" These words perfectly describe the life of Harrison Vance, who is the main character in this book. He was a lonely thirty-five-year-old slave who worked as a cleaner and went from being a total nobody to being a significant personality in changing the entire course of history.

As we all know, the government will do anything to stop an uprising or any form of resistance to their authority on issues that save money or generate money. Therefore, the government put strict 24-hour restrictions on every fundamental human right; even the simplest form of human interactions among the slaves was punished, except on specific occasions.

Harrison Vance had a lovely neighbor in the complex (the housing for slaves, which was barely habitable), named Meagan, that was repeatedly assaulted; he then tried to do something unorthodox, which he never knew would change his entire life and that of his fellow slaves as a whole. His actions earned him recognition with an unknown group against slavery, and this made the events that Ken Harris writes in this book quite an interesting one. From the group monitoring Harrison to abducting him, reading this part of the book felt like a clandestine operation that was not expected from a group of slaves thought to be dumb. The surprising event that followed raised several questions and eventually gained support from the whole country.

The plot in the book is truly remarkable. Although it is quite a lengthy book, it still connects the reader to the action as each page is flipped. We get to see the slaves’ point of view, their preparation, and how meticulous they were in thinking ahead of every plan the government would come up with to disrupt their plan and ways to counter them.

Dark Trades effortlessly presents each character and precisely captures their unique personalities and intellectual contributions to their mission. As the narrative progresses, each character matures, and each chapter reveals new facts about their roles. These detailed portrayals allowed me to visualize each event and even made me wonder what I would have done in some of the scenarios.

Also, there were a lot of lovable characters, such as the main character, Harrison, the leader of the resistance that recruited Harrison, Apex, and Senator Crest, the man in government who saw the wisdom in the movement and supported it, and these traits made him a character that I started rooting for.

However, the main antagonist, the president, fought so hard against the movement that made the leaders of the movement want to quit their mission several times. Readers will enjoy the suspense of seeing if he was successful in his mission or not. It is also worthy to note that Dark Trades by Ken Harris is a well-edited book, as I only found one minor error while reading, ensuring that my reading flow was not disrupted. I did not have any issue in the course of reading the book whatsoever.

Dark Trades by Ken Harris deserves a rating of 4 out of 4. The story is descriptive, informative, and comprehensively detailed. The book is suitable for mature readers who enjoy historical fiction, as there are some profane words. People who get easily triggered by human rights violations should not read the book.

Dark Trades
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Sara_fina
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sara_fina »

Wow! Just reading that, just wanna make me venture into reading it to detail.
BookBoyP
Currently Reading:

Post by BookBoyP »

It us really a good book to read if you ever have the time. Thanks for taking time to comment.
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

Your review was written so meticulously, that I felt I read the book. I just wish all this happened in reality so this modernised slavery going on would not exist. Good review.
Mvjdarling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mvjdarling.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Mvjdarling »

The adage, behind every successful man, is a woman, comes to play here. Meagan was the reason he started his fight and that ended up in a remarkable victory. Great review.
_claudi_
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudi.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by _claudi_ »

Your review of this book seems really detailed. I hope I get to read it sometime.
Praise George-kayode
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-george-kayode.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Praise George-kayode »

I think the author's imagination is really creative to have wriiten such book. I would like to read the book. Nicely written review.
BookBoyP
Currently Reading:

Post by BookBoyP »

Anthony__ wrote: 31 May 2021, 05:12 Your review was written so meticulously, that I felt I read the book. I just wish all this happened in reality so this modernised slavery going on would not exist. Good review.
You are right, we are just hoping everyone becomes enlightened enough to educate each other on how to act right. Thanks for commenting.
BookBoyP
Currently Reading:

Post by BookBoyP »

_claudi_ wrote: 31 May 2021, 05:17 Your review of this book seems really detailed. I hope I get to read it sometime.
Thank you for commenting.
BookBoyP
Currently Reading:

Post by BookBoyP »

UncleP wrote: 31 May 2021, 05:18 I think the author's imagination is really creative to have wriiten such book. I would like to read the book. Nicely written review.
You are indeed right, such ability should be appreciated. Thanks for commenting.
PreciousExo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-preciousexo.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by PreciousExo »

I think my favourite character would be Apex, he had the guts to start a fight which no one would even think about and he led to his very end. Good review.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

Senator Crest is an example that even in a bad government, there are a few good ones. I just wish people would come forward to act right the way he did in this book in real life. Great review.
Standor5865
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-standor5865.html
Latest Review: The 2021 Chronicles by A Glenn Rose

Post by Standor5865 »

Slavery, one of the great tragedies in the existence of the human race. I am just glad it ended happily for most of the good characters. Good review.
Phanice Moraa
Favorite Book: Wolf Rain
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Phanice Moraa »

The book is really interesting to read and also has a lesson behind it like the life of Harrison Vance who was the cleaner and later changed his personality into becoming a history.
RICHARDS1234
Favorite Book: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-richards1234.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by RICHARDS1234 »

According to that review, That book is my perfect match, I like history and struggle tales.
I really want to read this book.
Thank you for your review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”