Official Review: Ghosts of Berlin by Ralph Ryan

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jennifer Garcia 555
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-garcia-555.html
Latest Review: Somebody’s Watching You by Robin D'Amato

Official Review: Ghosts of Berlin by Ralph Ryan

Post by Jennifer Garcia 555 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ghosts of Berlin" by Ralph Ryan.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ghosts of Berlin by Ralph Ryan is an exciting historical fiction novel about a CIA agent named Mark Dillon that takes place during the Cold War. The story begins with Mark on a flight to Berlin to see his girlfriend he has not seen in five years. Once he reconnects with Claudia, she introduces him to a man who escaped from the communist side of the Iron Curtain to the Allies’ side in Berlin. This man claims that his girlfriend helped him escape and that he has to find a way to get her out too. Mark agrees to help get her out under the guise of a Red Cross worker. This decision catapulted Mark into an action-packed adventure that includes spies, Russian soldiers, revenge, and even love.

This book is excellent. The author does an amazing job of keeping the action going at a steady pace. I was not bored for even a moment. Mark is a relatable character. He is a highly trained CIA agent, but he still has weaknesses. He lets his guard down around beautiful women, and his impulsive nature gets him into trouble often. I also really liked Hans. This man dedicates his life to helping people seeking freedom escape the Soviets. He is clearly very passionate about his work, and he is a very loyal friend. A lot is going on in the story, but the author does a great job of making the story clear and easy to follow.

There is nothing negative to say about this book. The story has enough twists and turns to keep the reader interested. I also learned some interesting facts about this turbulent time in history. The story has a clear ending. All the loose ends are neatly tied up, but the author left room for a second adventure.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I found only one minor editing error which leads me to believe this book was professionally edited. The mix of history and drama is captivating. I enjoyed everything about this book. I would gladly read more books by this author.

I used to avoid historical fiction novels, but the more I read them the more of a fan I become. I highly recommend this book to fans of historical fiction novels. I also recommend it to people who enjoy spy novels. There is even some romance tied into the story for the romance novel lovers. There is a small amount of profanity, some violence, and a few references to sexual activity. This book is suitable for adult and young adult readers.

Ghosts of Berlin
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” — L. M. Montgomery
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

I am a huge fan of historical novels set during WWII and other wars, so I believe this book is for me.
I guess there's also a betrayal involved?
Thanks for the review.
If this book turned you into a fan, this will surely make me a devoted fan.

What do you think?
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Jennifer Garcia 555
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-garcia-555.html
Latest Review: Somebody’s Watching You by Robin D'Amato

Post by Jennifer Garcia 555 »

It was excellent and had a lot of action. If you already love historical fiction, you will definitely enjoy this one.
“Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” — L. M. Montgomery

Return to “Historical Fiction”