Official Review: Hemingway's Daughter

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Official Review: Hemingway's Daughter

Post by Kennedy NC »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Hemingway's Daughter" by Christine M. Whitehead.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Is it not fascinating to imagine the possibility of recreating your favourite writer's life? If you had the opportunity to change one thing about any of your favourite heroes who lived, what would that one thing be? For Christine Whitehead, she decides to write about late American journalist and fiction writer, Earnest Hemingway. Only this time, he had the daughter he so eagerly desired.

Hemingway's Daughter is a historical fiction that narrates the life experiences of Finley Richard Hemingway, daughter of Earnest Hemingway. We know in reality that Hemingway had only three sons, so this is a creation of the author's mind. However, such knowledge does not detract from the threads of authenticity and beauty weaved into this book. The reader abandons reality as he knows it and fully adopts Hemingway's life, as recreated by the author.

An alcoholic sometimes, other times, an insensitive husband. Yet, Hemingway is nothing short of extraordinary and lovable, revelling in his lifelong passion for writing, which he says defines him more than anything else. His daughter, Finley Richard Hemingway, adores him greatly despite his apparent flaws and shortcomings, always fighting to have his undivided attention. She desires, against all odds, to become a female litigation lawyer in a male-dominated society, for this has been her lifelong dream. More importantly, seeing her father was a constant victim of failed marriages and divorces, she desires intently to break the jinx and curse that attaches to every Hemingway: love always ends for the Hemingways, and usually, badly. Does she succeed in breaking the Hemingway Jinx? Find out by reading this intriguing fiction novel.

This book has numerous positive aspects. Firstly, I found no single error in this book despite its extensive length. This is proof of exceptional editing. Not only this, the recreation of the life of Hemingway to include a daughter he never had, added a variation to the life of the legendary writer that endears him even more to the readers. Through Finley's narration, we have a peep into his failings and significant victories. We observe the flaws in his character and the wisdom in his words. According to him, "...love is all there is", and it "...will find you if you refuse to find it. That's its mission."

In addition to the positive points listed above, the plot was intriguing and captivating. I found myself glued to this book right till the very last page. I found nothing to dislike about this book. Therefore, I give it a perfect 4 out of 4 stars rating. I recommend Hemingway's Daughter to everyone who enjoys reading historical fictions. In particular, I recommend it to all who will enjoy reading about perseverance and determination even in the face of adversity.

Hemingway's Daughter
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

This book sounds very intriguing, what an idea to re-write someone’s life story like that! Giving Hemingway such a strong-willed daughter probably changed his life for good 😁 Thank you for introducing this exiting book and writing such a lovely review!
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative
Jagiine
Currently Reading: Children of Virtue and Vengeance
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jagiine.html
Latest Review: A Collection of Poetry by Cheree Scott

Post by Jagiine »

This is an interesting concept. I think I'm most curious to know what major events or habits the author proposed would've changed for Hemingway with having a daughter, if any. Thanks for your review!
Deprise Evans
Favorite Author: Francine Rivers
Currently Reading: Crazy Love
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deprise-evans.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6456

Post by Deprise Evans »

I love the concept of this book! It sounds so interesting. While I have not yet read a novel by Hemingway, I am wanting to do so in the future. I will have to add this book to my TBR list. Thank you so much for your great review!
Joyful17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k17.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Talking (war) Dog by Daniel Tierney

Post by Joyful17 »

A book that keeps one glued to its pages is worth having. Thanks for your recommendation.
maggi3
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Paper Doll by Caitlin Strommen

Post by maggi3 »

This is such an interesting premise. I don’t know all that much about Hemingway, but I think I would still greatly enjoy this book. Thanks for the review and recommendation!
Pronouns: they/them

:gay-rainbow:
marta baglioni
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

This is going straight to my TBR. Super intriguing! Thank you
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

This sounds incredibly interesting. To recreate an authors life with more characters takes a lot of imagination. Thanks for the great review
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

An intriguing idea for a book. I have to admit I didn't know Hemingway had only sons. It would be interesting to see what aspects of his life changed with him having a daughter. Not being biased at all but having daughters is awesome. 😊 Great job with the review.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I love historical fiction, so I will have to check this book out. Based on Hemingway's character and life, I am curious what kind of person the author developed to be his daughter. Since it was always his desire to have a daughter, I wonder how much like him she was. Thanks for the great review!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

I vaguely remember a movie about Hemingway with a love interest but nothing about sons or daughters. I would like to read this fictional story. Thanks for your review.
Michelle Menezes
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-menezes.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Michelle Menezes »

The whole concept about giving a historical personality a fictional background is unique and intriguing. However, it doesn't belong to my preferred genre, so I won't be reading the book. But, I hope that people who do like the genre end up enjoying the book. Thank you for the wonderful review!
Raymonda onwuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raymonda-onwuka.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Raymonda onwuka »

This is awesome, reading the review alone I could feel waves of positive energy washing over me. I love the way Finley was optimistic about her goals and her spirit of persistence.
Thanks for the wonderful review.
Asma Aisha Ansari
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Roadside Picnic
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 813
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asma-aisha-ansari.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Asma Aisha Ansari »

This novel will be a treat for both historical fiction lovers and Hemingway fans. It's great how the author has created an inspirational tale through a (fictitious) father-daughter relationship.
Imagination is a good servant, and a bad master. - Agatha Christie
Harty Muli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho

Post by Harty Muli »

I would like to get into the author's mind through reading this book to understand his reasoning on the life of Hemingway. Great review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”