Official Review: Skullduggery at Downtown Medicine Mound

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: Truth and Evil
Bookshelf Size: 744
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: All You'll Never Be (Kindle Edition) by E. L. Neve

Official Review: Skullduggery at Downtown Medicine Mound

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Skullduggery at Downtown Medicine Mound" by Dennis Boyd Call.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Skullduggery at Downtown Medicine Mound: A Jonathan Parker Adventure by Dennis Boyd Call continues the story of Jonathan, who, a month ago, had reunited the descendants of Chief Peta Nocona. Prairie Flower comes to him and tells him that the entire Comanche Nation reputation is now in danger. One member of the To-sah-wi Alliance plans to attend the next Tribal Council Meeting to discredit their leadership. Jonathan must meet with On-ah-wa, an Apache Prophetess, who recognizes danger before it happens. As Jonathan is walking towards her, he grabs his head and collapses. In his mind, he hears Silver Bear, who now rules the To-sah-wi Alliance, and he warns Jonathan that he cannot succeed in his mission and for him to give it up before he and his family are destroyed. Someone Jonathan knows has returned to the To-sah-wi Alliance under Silver Bear’s guidance. Is it Jonathan’s father, Sir? Or has Silver Bear injected this thought into his mind to distract him from his task? What is skullduggery? You will have to read the book to find out.

Of the many positive aspects of this book, my favorite are the life lessons learned from reading this book. Two of the best ones are: “when you go for the good, the bad will try to intercede,” and “learn to listen, not just hear.” How many times when you are working on something have you been tempted to do something you should not? When people talk to you, do you listen to what they are saying, or just hear their words? The research on Native Americans in this book is outstanding, and the author’s description of the culture makes you feel like you are a participant in the plot. There are quotes at the beginning of each chapter to help the reader understand what they are reading. The author included humor in this book with phrases where he described a voice like “a pickle juice gone bad.” Although this book is a continuation of another book, you can read this one as a standalone because the author includes key points from the previous book.

In my opinion, there is only one negative aspect of this book. The author left some of the mysteries unsolved in this book. Although disappointing, these unsolved mysteries make me hopeful that the author will continue Jonathan’s story in another book.

This is an action-packed, fast-paced, and well-written book that a professional editor has edited. There are only two minor errors in this 331-page book. On page 263, some words are highlighted in yellow that I did not count as errors because they may be stylistic, or the author may have wanted to emphasize them for some reason. Overall, this book warrants 4 out of 4 stars. There is absolutely no reason to give this book a lower rating.

Although there is some minor profanity, this book is appropriate for teenagers and adults interested in historical fiction about Native Americans. This book would be an exciting read for a high school history class.

Skullduggery at Downtown Medicine Mound
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
onyii_review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyii-review.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by onyii_review »

This is a unique concept of a book. I will check it out. Thanks for the review.
Uzzy_Reviews
Elendu Ekechukwu
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elendu-ekechukwu.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Elendu Ekechukwu »

I can't wait to read this book. I'm anxious about finding out the meaning of skullduggery

Return to “Historical Fiction”