Review of Deep in the Mist

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: The Mothers
Bookshelf Size: 2401
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Review of Deep in the Mist

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Deep in the Mist" by Heather J Graham.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Gaspar moved to New Petrograd, a — fictional — Russian settlement in Canada, to take over his father’s construction business once he retired. Shelley, a police officer from Vancouver, is visiting her parents too. Their paths will join because her parents had invited his for a social evening when she first arrived. And his mother encouraged him to come, even if he only stayed for the meal. While they both work to return New Petrograd to its idyllic calm, Shelley grows a fondness for this tight-knit community and a special liking for one of its members. Deep in the Mist by Heather J Graham, Diana Van Geffen, and Loretta Scutchings is the literary equivalent of a warm cup of tea on a winter day. More cozy than mystery, it has enough suspenseful elements to keep the reader engaged, while also being the soothing tale we sometimes need in this boisterous world.

The main merit of the novel is, from my point of view, the enjoyment of learning more about Russian culture. It's commendable that the authors never resort to info-dumping, but use original features to submerge the reader in this society. For example, the recipe book and the glossary, which are usually set apart, are interwoven in the story. This is an original approach to presenting terms that might be new to the reader while also enhancing the reading experience. I especially savored the tidbits of historical trivia sprinkled here and there, particularly in the cooking lessons. I also applaud that’s precious to find a novel these days that’s so clean as this one: there are no profanities, no erotic scenes, and just a modicum of violence.

The novel has three major flaws. The first one is the over-constructed and unauthentic dialogues. Take the following random comment: “Those cookies sure smell good. I just love how the chocolate oozes through my teeth when they are fresh from the oven.” Nobody talks so descriptively in real life. The second one is that, except for the main characters, the rest are almost indistinguishable. I often felt lost because except for Gaspar, Shelley, and their immediate family, the rest of the village is all portrayed in a cookie-cutter style. Last, the editing mistakes exceed ten occurrences. These are minor flaws that don’t interfere with the reading but should be taken into consideration.

Deep in the Mist by Heather J Graham, Diana Van Geffen, and Loretta Scutchings is a unique, comforting, white tale. It is full of interesting data about Russian culture, and it highlights the best of human nature. Unfortunately, because of the unnatural dialogues, the generic characters, and the edition mistakes, I rate it 3 out of 4 stars.

Deep in the Mist is part of a trilogy. I would recommend reading the first installment of the series before this one. This novel is ideal for people who enjoy cozy mysteries, history, gastronomy, and learning about different cultures. It is an ideal story for young adults. Readers who prefer intricate thrillers, fast-paced stories, or steamy romances might want to choose another book.

Deep in the Mist
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I love mysteries, discovering new countries and cultures, and learning about history. So this one seems intriguing, despite its flaws. Thank you for introducing it!
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

The story does sound unique. It's not for me but getting to know about Russian culture would be very intriguing. Thank you for a great review!
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html

Kavita Shah wrote: 21 Jun 2021, 14:54 The story does sound unique. It's not for me but getting to know about Russian culture would be very intriguing. Thank you for a great review!
That was the best part. Thank you for your comment!

Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 21 Jun 2021, 02:33 I love mysteries, discovering new countries and cultures, and learning about history. So this one seems intriguing, despite its flaws. Thank you for introducing it!
I think you'd like it, then. It is very unique, especially because it's written by three residents of a long-term care facility and I think they each brought their experiences into the story.
Thanks for your comment!
Jeanabel Ramos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeanabel-ramos.html
Latest Review: Final Act by Van Fleisher

Post by Jeanabel Ramos »

I love the honest review especially when you stated some unrealistic dialogues from the book. I would like to give this book a try because of your review. Thank you!
Harty Muli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: I Have Proof of a Higher Power by Ioan Dirina

Post by Harty Muli »

I like the warm relationship between the characters something that will make me want to read the book. Thanks for a great review.

Jeanabel Ramos wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 03:21 I love the honest review especially when you stated some unrealistic dialogues from the book. I would like to give this book a try because of your review. Thank you!
Thank you! :tiphat: I'm glad my review fulfilled its purpose. I hope you enjoy the book.
Sanju Lali
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 446
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

From your insightful review it appears to me like in this book the suspenseful elements are nicely mixed the soothing tale to make it a good read. The essence of Russian culture and recipe notes is a added attraction. Thanks for your review.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.

sanjus wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 11:41 From your insightful review it appears to me like in this book the suspenseful elements are nicely mixed the soothing tale to make it a good read. The essence of Russian culture and recipe notes is a added attraction. Thanks for your review.
It is a unique combination. Thank you for your comment! :D
OB Brian
Currently Reading: Shame Off You
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ob-brian.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventure by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by OB Brian »

I love how you compare this work to a warm cup of tea in winter because guess what? It really sounds like my cup of tea. I should give this novel a go very soon (after the flaws have been rectified, that is). Thanks for the informative review.

OB Brian wrote: 23 Jun 2021, 00:19 I love how you compare this work to a warm cup of tea in winter because guess what? It really sounds like my cup of tea. I should give this novel a go very soon (after the flaws have been rectified, that is). Thanks for the informative review.
I'm very glad! 🍵
I hope you enjoy it. Thank you for your kind words. 😊
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

I really enjoy mysteries and you had me until you got to the underdeveloped characters and unauthentic dialogue. That would drive me crazy. I like the cover and premise of the book. Thank you for the informative review.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: Public Hostage Public Ransom by William Bronston MD

Post by El_limitless »

Interesting plot. You honest review draws me to the book. I love how well the characters related with each other. Great review.

cd20 wrote: 23 Jun 2021, 09:46 I really enjoy mysteries and you had me until you got to the underdeveloped characters and unauthentic dialogue. That would drive me crazy. I like the cover and premise of the book. Thank you for the informative review.
I understand. It usually drives me crazy, too. Thank you for your comment.

Return to “Historical Fiction”