Review of If the World Hates You

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ruth Naomi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruth-naomi.html
Latest Review: Peace in the Abyss by Tayo Emmanuel

Review of If the World Hates You

Post by Ruth Naomi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "If the World Hates You" by A B Lawson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If the World Hates You by A B Lawson is a historic fiction read, yet biblical in so many aspects. The story follows two good friends, Jacob and Marcus. Jacob is a scribe and also in love with Judith, another man’s slave. Marcus is married, but his wife and son are in Rome; their marriage was arranged by his father. By virtue of this, their marriage is alienated. He feels the need to fix their relationship.

Being a scribe, Jacob is entrusted with authoring a Christian gospel amidst the merciless and violent Roman rule. Domitian, the emperor, rules with an iron fist, and all his orders must be followed, lest you face dire consequences. Will good prevail amidst all the evil happening? Better still, will Jacob’s work go to completion with such a cruel emperor in power? Will he take the necessary steps towards his feelings for Judith?

I enjoyed several things about the book. Firstly, dialogues among characters were captivating. Those of Jacob and Marcus stood out mostly. Also, there’s a disparity among the people; some are maids, others are scribes, soldiers, deacons, etc. Maids bow before their masters and soldiers before their superiors. This is always typical of historical fiction, and Lawson does it with prowess. Liberal-minded readers will appreciate the tale.

This book contains ruthless characters, and often the scenes turn bloody. There’s an instance where males had to be killed, and when a child’s skull is sliced into halves and brains shoot across the ground, I held my breath. I felt like this was closely connected to the biblical story of killing all the first-born males in the Old Testament. The graphic violence could pose a formidable challenge for some audiences.

Some names employed by the author are hard to comprehend. I had a hard time trying to pronounce them. As a result, the author should have included a glossary of terms at the beginning or end of the publication. It’d have been a helpful reference for readers. That’s what I despised about the book.

I discovered a number of errors; therefore, the installment could use another round of editing. There are scattered profane words and erotic content. Consequently, I’d not recommend it to readers below the age of 18 years. With the increment of complex words that had me seeking their meanings, I was often detracted from the tale. Therefore, I rate it three out of four stars. I recommend it to historical fiction fans.

If the World Hates You
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

It's Biblical and has historical aspects in mind. I don't think I'll enjoy reading it much. Thank you for a great review!
The frant1c reader
Favorite Book: Crime and Punshment
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-frant1c-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by The frant1c reader »

I always appreciate a good historical fiction! Some of the elements sound a bit mainstream to me nevertheless I would give it a try. Nice review! :D
What do you despise? By this you are truly known....
~Dune.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I don’t usually go for historical fiction. This, however, sounds like something that I would really enjoy. The time period fascinates me.
Urvashi Tripathi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-urvashi-tripathi.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Urvashi Tripathi »

I don't know why but after reading the name of this book I thought I'll be non fictional but I liked the plot. Reading about Jacob and Judith will be exciting. I don't like bloody scenes much and as you mentioned that child scene, it gonna be disturbing for me. I'm adding this book in my TBR. Thank you for the amazing review.
Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chukwuebuka-ifedigbo.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo »

I love this book and your review is great. However, since this is a general book, it will be better if the author uses less complex words as the reviewer had mentioned.
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

I’m glad the author could capture the characters and their dynamics so well. Thanks for the great review

Return to “Historical Fiction”