Review of Setting in Roots

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 296
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: MISNEACH, The Story of Flora MacDonald by K.L. Huntley
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Review of Setting in Roots

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Setting in Roots" by Dymphna.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Setting in Roots by Dymphna is a gripping story about a young girl named Trixie. When she was a child, Mr. Jim took her in and acted as a father figure to her. He brought her with him to live in a town called Wicker Soul in Colorado. She lives in a boarding house where she is also looked after by Ms. Liz, the owner. However, she yearns for freedom and adventure. She wants a life of her own and grows tired of the small town. She often seeks refuge at a local spring where she can be alone with her thoughts. One day she sees a handsome stranger at her special place. He manages to complicate her life in the small town.

Wallace is drawn to Trixie’s sharp tongue and quick wit. She’s different from anyone he has ever known. She is immediately attracted to the new stranger. The feelings of attraction are new to her and she isn’t sure how to process what she feels. As the two get to know one another better, Mr. Jim takes notice and is not happy about the association. With so many strong personalities interacting with one another, sparks fly. Trixie is torn between her loyalty to the man who raised her and the new feelings she has developed for Wallace.

I was so engrossed in the story, I found it difficult to put this book down. The characters are unique and multi-dimensional. What I enjoyed most about this book was the dialogue. It was witty and engaging. The character of Trixie was exceptionally well written. Her personality had depth and her thoughts were realistic. Her confusion about the new feelings she had for Wallace was particularly engaging. I could feel and relate to her nervousness and awkwardness in her interactions with him. Readers can also sympathize with her concerns about offending or hurting Mr. Jim.

There was nothing I disliked about this book. The story takes place in the nineteenth century when women weren’t permitted the amount of freedom they enjoy today. The frustration Trixie feels with the limitations she experiences simply by virtue of being a woman are heart-breaking and realistic for that time in history. However, she is a strong character who manages to hold her own against anyone and has no problem standing up for herself.

This story is beautifully written, and I highly recommend it to anyone interested in historical fiction or romance novels. It revolves around complex and realistic relationships. I only saw a few errors in the book, so I believe it was professionally edited. For the reasons stated, I give this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I was happy to learn that this is the first book in a series. I look forward to reading the next book.

Setting in Roots
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
amitpra1
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by amitpra1 »

Title is really impressive and attractive because who are interested in knowledge and learning that person is really like to read this book beautiful and unique story I like it I give 4 star because book title is attracte you to know what is it story I'm sure story not disappoint to anyone
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

I love when an author can create multi-dimensional characters, as you say. It adds so much to the overall feel of the story. Thanks for the great review!
Benaron
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-benaron.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by Benaron »

Romance novels aren't really my thing, yet this book sounds like something I could appreciate. A woman yearning for adventure back then can be compared to anyone simply learning or working at home over zoom now; one feels the need to change things up and feels trapped at home. Great review!
Ada Ling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-ling.html
Latest Review: Catapulting Commissions by Anthony Garcia

Post by Ada Ling »

This sounds like a fascinating book and a good plot. Thank you for the great review!
WAFULA RICHARD
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wafula-richard.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by WAFULA RICHARD »

This is likely to be one of those stories that normally like reading, according to the review above, the plot is 'flowing'
I need a copy
Wesusa
Favorite Book: Dune
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesusa.html
Latest Review: Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening by JD Schmith

Post by Wesusa »

Interesting book, the review is amazingly done. However, I don't think this book will interest me very much with the information you provided.
A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it.

The only person who can sympathize with and understand you, is you. So, be good to yourself.
Katie Blackmore
Favorite Book: The Glass Castle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katie-blackmore.html
Latest Review: The Light of Canopus by Frasar

Post by Katie Blackmore »

One of my favourite things in a good book is witty dialogue and interesting characters. I am definitely going to add this one to my list. Well done on the great review. You made it sound really enticing!

Return to “Historical Fiction”