Review of The Irish-American Connection

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 981
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Review of The Irish-American Connection

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Irish-American Connection" by Eddie O’Mahony.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Wars, famines, and economic changes have shaped the world that we live in. In his The Irish-American Connection: An Intriguing Tale of Rags to Riches, Eddie O' Mahony takes us on an intriguing journey across history.

During the 1880s, Mary O'Brian sets sail for America to flee from the dire straits of the Irish Famines. Mary aimed to improve her life through hard work and determination. She wished to realize her dreams in the land of opportunities. On the other hand, the Collins family lived in the tenements of Dublin. They worked in the famous liquor factory, Guinness, as coopers for generations.

Will Mary be able to make it in the New World? Will the Collins Family survive the dire economic conditions of Ireland? How is Mary related to the Collins Family?

Eddie O' Mahony has a knack for details. He gives a detailed description of everything. The Irish Famines, the World Wars, the Irish Civil War, and the American Civil War are vividly described. He also portrays a nuanced understanding of the mail-order business, banking industry, and advertising industry. Andrew is an avid fisher. The author presents the process of fly fishing in detail. This is one of my favorite aspects of the book. I like how the author included Titanic's maiden voyage in his story. However, I have to mention that the sheer amount of details might make the book tedious for some.

Mary is an amazing character. She never forgets her roots in her pursuit of success. She rises up even after falling. However, I would have liked to know more about Ned to understand why he did what he did. Also, I would have liked to know more about Maeve. Patrick Collins and David Collins were two of my favorite characters. Jenny and Andrew's life in the 90s was well portrayed. I like how the author portrayed a tangible way to handle addiction.

The book had a number of errors. Also, some facts were repeated more than once making us confused about the timeline. A round of editing and proofreading would fix this.

Keeping in mind the pros and cons, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to fans of historical and economical novels. People who do not like redundancy and an excess of details should steer clear of this book. Also, people who prefer a clear-cut plot should read this book with caution.

The Irish-American Connection
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Historical Fiction”