Review of What Dreams May Come

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
scaryeyes_25
Currently Reading: Glitter on the Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scaryeyes-25.html
Latest Review: Spoken on the Wind by Faye Westlake Newman

Review of What Dreams May Come

Post by scaryeyes_25 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "What Dreams May Come" by Xenon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When you witness your family, your people, and your whole town massacred, what will you do? How can you continue living when you had to kill someone to save her from more pain? How can you live your life knowing the person responsible for your pain continues to bring death wherever he goes? What can a teenager like Troilus do? What Dreams May Come is the story of Troilus and his journey of revenge and redemption.

Set in a medieval time different from what we know, the people of Gea are revolting against Emperor Laomedon and his loyal satrap Marsyas. Without proper funding and enough ally, can they overpower the tyrant? How many lives need to be lost before they can achieve change?

What Dreams May Come is the second installment in a 10-book series connected with a shared history and with the occasional reappearance of some characters. These books are all stand-alone and can be read in any order, except for the last two. A list of invented terms can be found at the end of the book. The main and minor characters with brief descriptions are also there. Maps of Gea and Mykerenos are also there for better visualization of the story.

What I like most about this book is how the author vividly described each event. It made every event personal and real to me. For example, I was there during the slaughter of Koi. I suffered the scorching fire and smelled the stench of blood. I heard the whimpers of pain. And I felt the desperation and helplessness Troi felt when he saw Phoebe and Aias.

The only thing that I dislike in this book is the demise of people close to Troi. It was like death covets Troi but unable to get him, so he seizes the people around him. But then, these deaths shaped Troilus to be the man that I learned to love and cheer for.

The setting is unique. The story flow was shaky but with enough events to keep me glued in. There are characters to love and hate. It was professionally edited because I only stumbled on one minor error. In summary, I give What Dreams May Come by Xenon a rate of 4 out of 4 stars.

Death, trauma, bullying, and the whole idea of war are enough reasons for young readers to avoid this book. Readers that enjoy war books will enjoy this. The author was kind enough to provide us with a world unfamiliar from our own but with familiar problems and struggles. I am looking forward to reading the book before and after this one.

What Dreams May Come
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Urvashi Tripathi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-urvashi-tripathi.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Urvashi Tripathi »

I had recently read a book similar like this one, which has as you said deaths,revenge, redemption and other many things too. I don't like war books much but I would like to give this book a try because to it's plot. Thank you for the beautiful review.
scaryeyes_25

Post by scaryeyes_25 »

Urvashi Tripathi wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 14:10 I had recently read a book similar like this one, which has as you said deaths,revenge, redemption and other many things too. I don't like war books much but I would like to give this book a try because to its plot. Thank you for the beautiful review.
What I like about this war book is the back story it gave to Troilus. You would want to know if he will be able to have his revenge or if circumstances will prevent him to do so. Happy reading. And thank you for dropping by.
Benaron
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-benaron.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by Benaron »

The vivid imagery you described makes me want to read the book even without being a fan of war books. Great review!
scaryeyes_25

Post by scaryeyes_25 »

Benaron wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 18:31 The vivid imagery you described makes me want to read the book even without being a fan of war books. Great review!
Thank you for the kind words. I hope you have a good read.

Return to “Historical Fiction”