Review of Tales of Coles County, Illinois

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
That Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-that-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Unspoken Things The Inlightenment by Wilfred Thomas

Review of Tales of Coles County, Illinois

Post by That Reviewer »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tales of Coles County, Illinois" by Michael Kleen.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Every town has its story — the mysterious, the crime-centered, and the downright weird. The towns in Coles County are not an exception, with events going back to the 19th century when the pioneers were moving towards the west coast of America. Tales of Coles County, Illinois by Michael Kleen is a collection of such stories that perhaps laid the foundation of what is now the present-day Coles County. From the famous unsolved murders and haunted houses to the mysterious occurrences, Tales of Coles County, Illinois is a whirlwind of everything a good anthology is — suspense-filled, intriguing, and informative.

Tales of Coles County, Illinois is historical in its approach to details of events. The author emphasizes that its goal is to inform and keep history alive. However, unlike a history book, it breathes life into the characters, especially in its first part. The characters aren't just historical figures; their feelings, motivations, and ambitions draw the reader in, creating a wholesome picture and leaving vivid impressions. The first part of the book combines fact and fiction, making it an enjoyable read. Subsequent chapters focused on ghost and cemetery lore, happenings at Eastern Illinois University, true crimes, disasters, ghost towns, and the Ku Klux Klan. Apart from being historical, this book can also guide tourists visiting the county and readers who might never get the chance to see it; the tales within are enlightening enough.

One of the merits of this book is the narrative style adopted by the author. The author creates vivid and detailed memories of past events. The pictures and photos included within are of great help, too. From the many references to his sources, it is clear that the author had done thorough research. He is detailed in his historical referencing while keeping the stories from becoming mundane. I was personally impressed by the straightforward and entertaining nature of the book. Some of the stories within are tragic. However, they show the reader how far Coles County has come.

Apart from a few errors, mainly typos, this book is well edited; there's no issue of concern. I love the organization of the content; similar tales are grouped. It can be best described as 'neat work.' The references to newspaper articles, eye-witness accounts, movies, and public records, as well as maps with their coordinates, make for an all-encompassing read. The author did a brilliant job.

I will recommend this book to readers interested in historical books and the communal life in the mid-western United States, starting from the 19th century. Residents of and visitors to Coles County will also find this book exciting. Finally, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

Tales of Coles County, Illinois
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Angelica Ann H
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Angelica Ann H »

This book is really great for recommendations especially for those who are interested in historical books
Urvashi Tripathi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-urvashi-tripathi.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Urvashi Tripathi »

This book seems like thriller horror novel. I like reading about haunted houses or anything with suspense element in it. The plot sounds exciting, and I hope this book will not disappoint me. I'm adding this book in my TBR. Thank you for the beautiful review.
Benaron
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-benaron.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by Benaron »

History books can be a bit boring to me; however, this attempt to breathe life into a historical account of things seems super intriguing!
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I am from Clark County, IL. (very close) and I was not aware of the stories. I really appreciate this. Great review!
NISSE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisse.html
Latest Review: Insights for Coaching Leaders beyond 2021 by Jill Flynn

Post by NISSE »

An attempt of formulating historical account in a conversation style with live characters. I think the author wanted keep the interest of the reader on the subject matter, hence he has presented the book in this way. Very informative review!

Black Jewel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-black-jewel.html
Latest Review: The Game by Molly Perry

Post by Black Jewel »

I always find these types of books quite interesting. Some towns/counties are by far more attention keeping than others, I would have to say. I believe this might be one of those instances. Awesome review!

Return to “Historical Fiction”