Review of Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Praise GodWord
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-godword.html
Latest Review: Retirement Planning by William C. Evergreen

Review of Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God

Post by Praise GodWord »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God" by Judie Mitchell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Everyone is entitled to believe anything doctrine and decide whether to revere one religious opinion and disregard another. But what is genuinely the right thing to believe?

In this historical fiction, Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God, Judie Mitchell sheds light on the controversies surrounding beliefs, virtues, and religions. She discussed different approaches to religion. On the one hand, she discussed those who defend their religious views regardless of the circumstances. On the other hand, she talked about religious rebels who have no belief in the sovereignty of any revered entity.

The book presented two spiritual leaders, Reverend Abraham James, and Reverend Paxton. They held onto their different religious opinions about salvation and the afterlife, as they also caused their members to follow their views. Soon after, it became a rumor that these revered leaders may be false. But are their teachings also false? These aroused many doubts in the minds of their followers.

Judie, in her book, used different characters to display some realities. When I picked this book to read, I was caught in anticipation. The title gripped me. The characters here were used to express man's frailties, wrong decisions, and the consequences that accompany them. We met a character like Polly, who was held to pay for her crime she's not responsible for. Will justice be upheld for her?

The part of this book that I particularly considered positive was how the author tried to create a thought-challenging picture of what religion has been reduced to by humans. She tried to reveal the hypocrisy of some religious fanatics. It seems there's so much struggle for supremacy, and this has resulted in forgetting the true intent of religion. The author's words were unambiguous, as they created a mental picture in the reader's mind. For example, the reader was made to imagine the description of an execution. I also liked how the author introduced biblical quotes for each chapter, and these biblical quotes were relevant to her instant discussion.

I did not find anything negative about this book. But some readers may not appreciate the way the author ended the book. Overall, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. There were some grammatical errors in the book, but they won't cause me to remove a star because they did not disturb my flow while reading the book. Therefore, this book seemed professionally edited.

I strongly recommend this book to religious leaders. This book sought to create an awareness that followers are the responsibilities of their religious leaders. I would also request that law enforcement agencies read this book, as it reminds them of the importance of fair administration of justice.

Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God
View: on Bookshelves
Faith - Benny Any
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faith-benny-any.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Faith - Benny Any »

This book is an eye - opener one to me. There are so many views of Christainity
today which may confused people, thereby hindering them to be able to identify who is false or right.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

The title of this book grabbed me instantly! I am not sure how I would feel about reading it. I am a Christian and believe the Bible is the inspired Word of God, so for me, when I have questions I try to find answers from the Bible, not from man. Leaders of churches are just as human as their members of the congregation, so they are subject to make mistakes in their teachings. And, yes, there are those out there who know they are teaching others wrong, but it is for their own personal gain here on Earth! Thanks for the informative review!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Return to “Historical Fiction”