Review of The Wall

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Peace Odii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-odii.html
Latest Review: Justin's Quest by Winsome Board

Review of The Wall

Post by Peace Odii »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Wall" by Rex Conley.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

During a funeral, everyone has something to say, and it is mostly good. There's also this one person or persons who, though they may not speak up, don't feel the same as the rest. Sometimes, it may even be a family member. This is the scene we see play out as we begin our journey down the pages of this historical fiction, The Wall, by Rex Conley.

The book opened up to a memorial service held in honor of Elijah Whitefeather, who named himself Charlie. Daniel, one of the attendants, was used as a medium to give us access to what Charlie's life was like. He had been with Charlie at the hospital, as they had spent their time discussing issues. Daniel was asking questions, and Charlie was answering. They discussed issues ranging from love, marriage, heroes, Charlie's military days, etc. What were Charlie's military days like? What was his past like? Was he all holy or has a sinister past? The answers to these questions were unveiled on the pages of this book.

The writer, I must say, did a good job in his writing. Although he started clumsily, he found balance later on. There are a series of things I admire and love here. Firstly, I loved how he wrote the story from different perspectives, allowing us to travel through time. It gives you the feeling that you somehow telepathically accessed someone's mind and traveled down the person's memory lane or even sit with grandpa as he tells tales of his youth. Also, I liked his descriptive skills. He had a way of painting pictures with words to make look like you were actually present at the scene. When you read the words, your imagination does the rest for you. Furthermore, he's good at maneuvering the "showing and telling" highways; he knew when to do which.

This is good, well-documented writing, but some things should be corrected to improve the book's readability. One of the things that stood out to me as a negative factor was that in an attempt to be creative and descriptive, he made the beginning parts boring and stale. Another thing was that he was pretty inconsistent in his writing style, thereby creating confusion. At one time, he wrote in the first-person perspective, and at another time, it's in the third-person perspective. I believe this writing style would have been a nice creative thing if he had ensured proper transition.

Furthermore, his method of introducing characters was sometimes confusing and not very enticing. Again, he showed a series of inconsistencies in his assigning names to his characters. At one point, he was Daniel, and at another point, he was Danny. These inconsistencies were not reasonable, as it leaves me wondering whether it's a new character or another character.

I will give this a rating of 3 out of 4 stars owing to the initial clumsiness of the plot and the challenges I found. This book still appears professionally edited, but another round of editing will be needed to boost the excellent experience. I recommend this book to everyone that enjoys historical fiction or grandpa tales. Also, if you enjoy stories about war and military scenarios, then read this book.

The Wall
View: on Bookshelves
Adaeze Joan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adaeze-joan.html
Latest Review: Of Roses & Storms by Sara Omar

Post by Adaeze Joan »

This is a very nice review of this book. But I don't think am interested in reading it, am more into sci-fi and mystery.
Bernadette Avelar
Currently Reading: Harvey the Hippo
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bernadette-avelar.html
Latest Review: The Commander by Dan E. Hendrickson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Bernadette Avelar »

As a veteran, this review has my interest. I am now wondering what motivated the author to write this book. I enjoyed your reference about “grandpa tales” as that is a kind way of referring to stories passed from generation to generation that we hear and consider fact because they were from our family. War is devastating to country and man and this story is a different perspective. I liked your honest opinion of how you did not like the tone of the book and what confused you, it was clear and simply stated. I will use that for my future reviews if I have similar problems. Great review, I am interested in the book.

Return to “Historical Fiction”