Review of The Jordan-Durham-Crockett Documentary

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Eriny Youssef
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eriny-youssef.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Review of The Jordan-Durham-Crockett Documentary

Post by Eriny Youssef »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Jordan-Durham-Crockett Documentary" by Avie Durham Ringwood Wilbur.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Jordan-Durham-Crockett Documentary is a documentation of the history, roots, and members of the three aforementioned families. It describes how it all started and how they got connected. The family started when Zefnia Durham Sr. and Sarah Jordan got married in 1937. In total, they had fourteen children. Two of them, the first and the last, didn't survive and died at birth. However, the other twelve lived on to keep the legacy. Avie Durham Ringwood Wilbur, the twelfth child, is the author of this book.

Less than fifty pages in total, the book is a clear and concise account of the family's history. It starts with an introduction, which consists of a dedication, a foreword, and a quick history of the family. This is followed by the main section, which displays the genealogy charts of all the family members. The genealogy charts followed a clear structure as well. It started with a title that states the branch of the family that'll be listed. In my opinion, this made things a lot easier to follow. The two heads of the family, their children, and their grandchildren are listed up to date.

The "Grandchildren's Poem" was my favorite part. It was written from the heart, and so accordingly, it connected to the reader. Also, I loved the "Did you know" section where several interesting facts about the family were listed. For example, there are five people named Zefnia in the family. There are also around fifteen family members who are ministers. This section was a nice addition to the documentation.

Aside from the frequent editorial mistakes, there's nothing that I disliked about the book. For a documentary book, it succeeded in achieving its aim. It serves as a complete account of the genealogy of the involved families. It is also a reliable source to refer to.

I give The Jordan-Durham-Crockett Documentary 3 out of 4 stars. The fourth star was mainly deducted because of the errors I found in the text. There's nothing that can't be fixed with another round of proofreading. It's important to mention that those errors were not in the genealogy charts. They were mostly punctuation errors.

I recommend this book to those interested in the history of the studied families. Also, if you're thinking about documenting and researching your family roots, this book can be very useful. It shows the type of data needed, how to showcase them, and how to put them together in a book. If this sounds like something you're interested in, give this book a read!

The Jordan-Durham-Crockett Documentary
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Return to “Historical Fiction”