Review of Vieira's supermarket

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Review of Vieira's supermarket

Post by Anthony__ »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Vieira's supermarket" by Eric de Brabander.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Vieira’s Supermarket by Eric de Brabander is a story that artistically used racism, family, dictatorship, resistance, and liberty to depict the early colonial times.

The author told the story of a man in the 19th century named João Vieira. Due to an unfortunate incident between his dad and the government in power that resulted in his father’s death, João made a resolution to fight against the despotic, autocratic rule of the Salazar’s government. He teamed up with Captain Galvão Henrique and others with like goals. The effect of this action resulted in them not being able to go back to Portugal. Fortunately, the Brazilian government gave them the liberty of accommodation. As a result, João got separated from his family and met new people while living in Brazil. Do you want to know how things ended up with him? Pick this book to read up the complete chronicles of João Vieira.

Fiction mixed with a touch of fact was what the author employed in blowing the mind of readers. The plot of the book was incredible; it alluded and related to some historical events. The characters and their characterization were interesting. They all flowed well, and though the storyline was intertwined, the characters were very understandable. It was fun reading about Francisco, Thelma (his wife), and Norberto (his son).

Another intelligent thing about this book was its connection. Although the author made use of an inorganic plot, he still made sure they all ended up connecting with one another, which made the book compelling. The reader will only realize the connection between Arthur Oliveira and João towards the ending part of the book. Also, Mireya's identity was made known to the reader in the latter part of the book.

This book was also very educative. I was able to learn a bit of history. For instance, João shooting one of the characters, Romeo, depicted the treatment Africans were subjected to by their colonial masters and showed how some of these colonial workers were not happy with their job. It gave a brief insight into the resistance and fight for independence, freedom, and liberty by the Angolans.

Although this book was fantastic to read, one thing dented it. It contained several grammatical and typographical errors, which were very distracting. Therefore, I am giving this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. Other than that, I enjoyed every other thing about the book.

Also, the way things ended up for Henrique, João, and others was a takeaway for me. The author should be commended for his brilliance and artistry skills showcased in this book. I am recommending this book to lovers of revolutionary stories and political activists.

Vieira's supermarket
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Theana De lima Araujo
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theana-d.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Theana De lima Araujo »

I do enjoy historical books as well as fiction. From your review, I get the impression that this is exactly that. I, however, do not enjoy overly descriptive violence much and your mention of shooting makes me think this book will contain quite a bit of cruelty which I suppose is appropriate given that it is the colonial era. I will not be reading this book. Thank you for your review.
DTamara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtamara.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by DTamara »

I would read this despite the grammatical errors and typos, I appreciate the historical accuracy and the ingeniousness of the plot. Fascinating, thanks for such a good review!
Sarah Sonbol
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

Historical fiction depicting racism, dictatorship, resist and colonialism always intrigues me. Mixing these aspects with a properly knitted plot as described in the review makes this book more appealing. Thanks for the great review.
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June

Return to “Historical Fiction”