Review of BlackWash: The Untold Stories of Reverse Racism

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Review of BlackWash: The Untold Stories of Reverse Racism

Post by Anthony__ »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "BlackWash: The Untold Stories of Reverse Racism" by Rodney Cloud Hill.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

From time immemorial, the powerful have always oppressed the weak, and the weak have a long history of rising to challenge the status quo. Are you interested in historical fiction that also transcends into contemporary societal issues? If yes, you should read BlackWash: The Untold Stories of Reverse Racism by Rodney Cloud Hill. The novel tells the story of the world in a satirical way. It explores the themes of racism, colonialism, the slave trade, and the global fight for human rights.

In the 15th century, the continent of Shamerika was unintentionally discovered by a Nigerian seafarer. Initially, the African settlers lived in peace with the natives found in the vast country. But gradually, a policy of dominance and subjugation of the natives began taking place. The international slave trade began, and European slaves were brought onto the Shamerikas to work the vast plantations and farmlands. There, the systematic implementation of slavery, racism, and colonialism was methodically carried out on the white population by blacks. Will this reimagine world take a different direction from the one we know, or will it trail the same path? Read this book to find out.

In a surprisingly shocking manner, Rodney reimagines the history of the world and human interpersonal relations. From prehistoric times, the ancient civilizations and empires of old to the historic discovery of Christopher Columbus in 1492, the tapestry of history was flipped by the author. Africans are the technologically advanced race of the present era, while Europeans are the genetically inferior segment of the human race. This book is a work of historical fiction that criticizes the institution of racism and personal racist ideologies. Beyond that, it is a work of satire that shows the ridiculousness of judging humans by skin color. The author also emphasizes that institutions play a more prominent role in perpetuating stereotypes than individuals. So, the solution should start from institutions, as society influences all individuals' perceptions.

I like the humorous tone that the book was written in, particularly the play at names of locations and people. Barack Obama is Brad O'Reilly, and Washington and New York are named Wasinglin and New Yorsi, respectively. The wordplay did not stop at names; it appeared even in the language. Whitewashing became blackwashing in the context of the story. Africans were changing the accomplishment of subjugated whites to suit the black narrative. And this is where the title of the book comes into play.

There are few things I didn't like about the book. The book was written like an extended essay or history book, which becomes boring at some point. At times, it reads more like a manifesto of the author's worldview than a novel. Also, the book contains several repetitions. For instance, certain points like "blacks get away with the murder of whites," and some other points occurred too frequently. Therefore, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars because of its long-winded repetitions of some themes. Besides that, the book is well edited because I found only one minor error.

There are plenty of historical figures and fictionalized events in the book, particularly about "Shamerikan" history. It should be a good test of one's knowledge of history. Therefore, I recommend this book to history buffs and lovers of historical fiction. It is also a good read for people interested in the history of colonialism and how it morphed into slavery and racist policies against minorities.

BlackWash: The Untold Stories of Reverse Racism
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Snigdha Pandey
Favorite Author: David Levithan
Favorite Book: Burn for Me (Hidden Legacy, #1)
Currently Reading: One last stop
Bookshelf Size: 316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snigdha-pandey.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi
fav_author_id: 5798

Post by Snigdha Pandey »

I like the concept of the book. I don't come across satires often, and this seems like a good one. Despite the repetitions and the fact that might require intensive knowledge of American history (I am not an American, so I only know that people globally know about the USA), I might give it a try.
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

This book seems to deal with complex human issues that are still relevant in our world today. A nice idea to put the shoe on the other foot, so to speak. Thank you for the review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛

Return to “Historical Fiction”