Review of Redemption Bound

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Oyedeji Okikioluwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 964
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orizon.html
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi

Review of Redemption Bound

Post by Oyedeji Okikioluwa »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Redemption Bound" by SK Alfstad.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Redemption Bound by S.K. Alfstad is a fictional story that revolves around a non-fictional event witnessed by the writer. The 17-chapter book focuses on the theme of addiction and redemption. It was written in the third person omniscient point of view.

The book follows the story of two young men who struggled with addiction. The book was divided into two parts; 80 percent of the story was about Beni, and the other 20 percent was about Marquise. Beni was a young man who struggled with addiction all through his life. The most distinguishing thing about Beni were the two tattoos on his back, one of the Grim Reaper and the other of Jesus, two opposing figures. Marquise’s problem started after he left the military due to his injury and got stuck on drugs. The two young men were music lovers and were biased towards the Blues genre. To find out how their story progressed and ended, read this book to find out.

From a good parental background, Beni got addicted to alcohol and drugs through Patricia, who roped him into slinging drugs for her. The Patricia character in the story is quite relatable to everyone. There are some silent foxes and influences that we know are not good for us as individuals and might ruin us, and it takes special grace to do away with such.

I love how the author infused song lyrics in his writing. It increased the fluidity of the novel, and the character development was quite amazing, especially on the part of Beni. The plot was a good one, it was captivating, and the story flowed beautifully without any confusing gaps or unexplained time jumps. For this reason, I rate Redemption Bound 4 out of 4 stars.

My favorite scene was when Dawn, Beni’s wife, realized Beni wouldn’t change, not for her nor their son. She realized this after staying and moving with him from one town to another; then, she had to decide for her sake and their son’s. The book exposed the readers to the dangers of addiction, and I am careful not to release spoilers from it. There is nothing I dislike in the book, as it is informative and entertaining.

In conclusion, this book is professionally edited, as I observed a few errors that did not distract my reading experience. The written style is simple and easy to understand. I recommend this book to those who love intrigue and realistic novels. Also, people struggling with alcohol and drug addiction can learn one or two lessons from the book.

Redemption Bound
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi
Tarie07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarie07.html
Latest Review: Korian: Ark of the Fallen King by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Tarie07 »

Your review is very captivating. Addiction affects a lot of people nowadays and I applaud the author for taking time to put those issues to light. Thanks for the great review.
collinsogw555
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-collinsogw555.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by collinsogw555 »

The book sounds fascinating to read and it looks so real. And am curious to know all about it. Great review.
Sam Oghae
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-oghae.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Sam Oghae »

Books with themes such as addiction are usually not interesting enough to read and this seems like a fascinating and informative story.
Great review
manasidubey_147
Currently Reading: Sandcastles
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manasidubey-147.html
Latest Review: The Darkest Gift - Revised edition by Len Handeland

Post by manasidubey_147 »

After reading the review I think people with addiction problems might get a little help from it. Even I am looking forward to reading it. it might provide me with useful insights.
Tebogo Eugene M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 241
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tebogo-eugene-m.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Tebogo Eugene M »

What a book thanks for sharing the story of addicts, will put it in mind to read it, thanks for the review. "Redemption Bound" by SK Alfstad. :tiphat:
Sharon Christanto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon-christanto.html
Latest Review: The path from backpack to briefcase 2nd. idition by R. William Holland, PhD
Reading Device: B09N3YBXCN

Post by Sharon Christanto »

This book helps spread awareness of drug/alcohol addiction. And I really want to know what happens to Dawn! Thank you for the amazing review
Ayomikun Babalola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayomikun-babalola.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Ayomikun Babalola »

I can see how a former soldier would fall prey to addiction but I'm really curious to see how he conquers it and becomes a better man. Thanks for the review.
Doris Nwoti
Favorite Book: Randy the Irresistible
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doris-nwoti.html
Latest Review: The FBI Inspector by Jay Dubya

Post by Doris Nwoti »

Addiction is a topic that is not talked about enough! Beni falls prey to to drug addiction which will endanger so many aspects of his life!
Tars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 350

Post by Tars »

I have no interest in the subject matter of this book and, fortunately, no need to get inspired or experienced in helping people with addiction problems. I greatly admire the author for effort to guide so many on healthy path, but will have to pass the book. My sincere congratulations on BOTD!
John Arun Kumar
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-arun-kumar.html
Latest Review: Sophistries of Summer Days by Jenny Lofters

Post by John Arun Kumar »

This s a fictional story that revolves around a non-fictional event witnessed by the writer. The two young men, Beni and Marquise were music lovers and were biased towards the Blues genre. Their lives revolves around the theme of addiction and redemption or does it? A well written book to help others and a good book review. Congratulations on the BOTD!
Pandora10
Favorite Book: Remembering Christmas
Currently Reading: The Road to Management
Bookshelf Size: 116

Post by Pandora10 »

I enjoy historical fiction, but the subject matter of this book is not appealing, and the abrupt ending is a bit off-putting, so I will pass on this one.
Sable Pratt
Favorite Book: The Fox
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sable-pratt.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Sable Pratt »

When talking about drug addiction, the drug addicts' caregivers are often undermined, not given the adequate attention they need as they usually struggle just as much. I sympathize with Dani, especially when she realizes there's no hope left for Beni and she has to take care of herself and their son.
Asim Tariq
Favorite Book: The Fox
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asim-tariq.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Asim Tariq »

Redemption Bound is a must read for students as it goes through the trials and tribulations of an addict. Whether alcohol, benzodiazepines, opiates etc, addiction effects most families today. All the better to go through this book.
John korir
Favorite Book: Sandra Eden's War
Currently Reading: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit?
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-korir.html
Latest Review: Marco Martinez by R M Allan

Post by John korir »

I Sympathise with the two boys.Addiction is a serious topic especially at that age.Its a topic that the youth must be sensitised in order to curb the vice.I am triggered to read the book.congrats to the author for being the book of the day.

Return to “Historical Fiction”