Review of The way of the Ravin (rite of passage}

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 743
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: All You'll Never Be (Kindle Edition) by E. L. Neve

Review of The way of the Ravin (rite of passage}

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The way of the Ravin (rite of passage}" by grover peaceman.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Way of the Raven: Rite of Passage by Grover Peaceman is a historical fiction based on the stories he heard throughout his life. This book is the story of a boy whose parents removed him from the Millington Naval Air Station in Tennessee to spend a summer with his half Cherokee grandfather to be cleansed and complete the rite of passage. One of the first things his grandfather does is shave his head and have him watch a Sweat Lodge Ceremony that restores the spirit, mind, and body. He is determined to run away back to his life as a shoeshine boy and entrepreneur and spend his money on pinball machines, rolling dice, cards, and cigarettes. Does he escape his grandfather? What is the rite of passage, and does he complete it? Grab a copy of this action-packed book and find out.

This book has so many positive aspects that it is impossible to address all of them, so I will only highlight a few of them to give you an idea about this book. To begin with, the beautiful illustrations at the beginning of each chapter and in the Photo Gallery at the end of the book bring the lives of the Indians and other hill people to life. Cory Roberts has done a fantastic job. The culture you will be reading about is where everyone helped each other, whether they were harvesting crops, building a barn, or putting out fires. There are many lessons to be learned in this book. My favorite one, which is controversial today, was “Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.” I enjoyed reading the prophecies, prayers, and songs that demonstrated the characters’ heritage and traditions. One example of a prophecy is “The land will be crossed by snakes of iron,” which described pipelines.

Although they are historical facts, I was not too fond of the portions of the book where discrimination was shown to the hill people. For instance, when children would be taken inside or walked to the other side of the street away from them, and men in white robes were shooting at houses, burning homes, and killing livestock.

Unfortunately, I can only give the book 3 out of 4 stars because there were over 10 errors. These errors could have easily been overlooked, so I believe a professional editor has edited the book. I can not justify giving the book fewer stars because it is an enjoyable book that offers the actual history of Native Americans and other ingenious people.

I recommend this book to anyone interested in the faith, prophecy, and culture of Native Americans. The sexual content and profanity are mild and would only offend the most sensitive of readers. I believe the only readers who might be offended are the descendants of the white robes who committed the atrocities against these people. This book would make a good reading assignment for history classes.

The way of the Ravin (rite of passage}
View: on Bookshelves
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Snigdha Pandey
Favorite Author: David Levithan
Favorite Book: Burn for Me (Hidden Legacy, #1)
Currently Reading: One last stop
Bookshelf Size: 316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snigdha-pandey.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi
fav_author_id: 5798

Post by Snigdha Pandey »

It sounds like an interesting book. It seems that you would have given the book 4 stars if not for the errors. But as you said that they might have been overlooked by even a professional editor, I think they do not hinder the flow of the book.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Anatomy of Revenge by Fred Grace

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

The Sweat Lodge Ceremony must have scared the hell out of him for him to want to run away :lol: :lol: . I will skip this one but I enjoyed the review!
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I think I know which book I'm going to read next. Thanks for the recommendation.
onyii_review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyii-review.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by onyii_review »

Sounds like an interesting fiction. Thanks for the review.
Uzzy_Reviews
Elendu Ekechukwu
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elendu-ekechukwu.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Elendu Ekechukwu »

I'm currently having problems with my faith. I think this would be the perfect read for me.

Return to “Historical Fiction”