Review of Against the Glass

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Review of Against the Glass

Post by Erin Dydek »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Against the Glass" by Linda M. Habib.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In 1966, young Candy Krzyzanowski was determined to break the mold of the traditional female role. But her plans to go to college and pursue a career conflicted with her mother's plans for her: get married and produce the Janus heir. For thousands of years, the women of her family competed to be the first to birth a daughter in January to receive the coveted family heirloom, the Janus coin necklace.

That dream shatters when she must terminate her pregnancy through an illegal abortion. Her body broken, Candy falls into a devastating depression. Her traumatic experiences under the hands of a heartless black-market surgeon make her wonder if there is a better choice for women when it comes to health care. A compassionate doctor encourages her to find a new path in the medical field. Unfortunately, the process to become a female doctor in a male-dominated field may be just as daunting as the unsterile conditions that left her broken in the first place.

Against the Glass is a historical fiction novel written by Linda M. Habib that follows Candy's emotional journey to find her place in an ever-changing world. The visual elements of this book enthralled me. Habib wove an inspirational tale and filled each scene with various themes and images centered around the fragile nature of glass and the delicate balance of life. I loved how the storyline incorporated so many reflections of glass, whether it was the glassy surface of the ice-skating pond, the glass particles within the kaleidoscope, or even the glass jars that housed Candy's insect specimens in her early days studying entomology. The writing was poetic and realistically painted the struggles a young woman faced trying to step outside the mold and find equality with men.

I also loved Candy's personality. She faced many tragic and heart-wrenching scenarios, yet she worked hard to overcome the challenges and truly grow as a character. It was easy to cheer her on despite the horrible things that were said and done to her, and I loved seeing her push through to face the pain head-on time and time again. The hardest part to read was the abortion that she experienced. It was the grittiest part of the book but highlighted the horrid conditions that were one of the only options for women who became pregnant out of wedlock. Another character I adored was Candy's best friend, Brenda. Although she played a minor role in the overall story, I loved her feisty attitude and contributions to the historical changes throughout the story's progression.

I enjoyed each of the four sections of the book and found very few minor errors. Against the Glass made me appreciate the sacrifices and struggles of the women who paved the way for me to attend college and have the opportunity to pursue a career. Therefore, I give this excellent novel four out of four stars.

I'd highly recommend this book to readers who enjoy historical fiction about women's rights and gender equality and those who appreciate thematic literature with a full-circle conclusion. The author includes scenes of abortion and verbal abuse better suited to a mature audience and those not triggered by such events. I found Against the Glass to be a fascinating book that I am glad to have had the opportunity to review.

Against the Glass
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Tarie07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarie07.html
Latest Review: Korian: Ark of the Fallen King by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Tarie07 »

Parents should learn to encourage their children to be their own individuals, instead of forcing their plans on them. I would love to read this book. Thanks for the lovely review.
Mahdis Sadeghi
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mahdis-sadeghi.html
Latest Review: Eggstravagant Easter Eggs by Maya Elston

Post by Mahdis Sadeghi »

I loved your honest review and I think I'm going to read Against the Glass because I was looking for a good book which contained women's rights and gender equality themes. And in addition I love historical fiction so this is the great mix for me. Thank you for you review!
DTamara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtamara.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by DTamara »

What a find, amazing review! I am putting this on my list. In terms of the complexity of the characters, it seems very promising. The struggle of Candy for finding her place and equality is not a part of history yet in many places on the globe. It is bound to be an inspirational read, thanks.
Theana De lima Araujo
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theana-d.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Theana De lima Araujo »

Hi, I must say your review is riveting and I really get a sense of the content and the emotions from it. The heartache and the struggle of these times along with the difficulty women faced are clear in your interpretation. You are a talented reviewer and have convinced me to read this book. I'll keep an eye out for it. Many thanks and have a lovely evening/ day.
Mbenma Esther 080
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbenma-esther-080.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mbenma Esther 080 »

I keep feeling for women who don't have the opportunity to chart the course of their life due to certain reasons. Good review.
Luchris_michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-michael.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem

Post by Luchris_michael »

Health and life are important things that should receive maximum attention. Parents should consider the choice of their kids before they impose their opinions. Good review.
Humera955
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-humera955.html
Latest Review: Smart Love by Vincent Fudge II
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Humera955 »

Candy , by the description would make an excellent character as a female doctor in thie male dominated world.
Great reveiw🤓
:tiphat:
Chris Agbara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-agbara.html
Latest Review: Almost Everything You Wanted To Know About Tickling by Duncan Taub

Post by Chris Agbara »

Linda M. Habib's "Against the Glass" is truly an enchanting historical fiction that intricately weaves together themes of glass, resilience, and women's struggles for equality. Candy's journey and the vivid visual elements captivated me, showcasing the delicate yet unbreakable nature of her character. The book's portrayal of the challenges faced by women during that time resonated deeply, and I'm pleased to see it highlighted with four out of four stars in your review. This novel seems like a must-read for anyone seeking a profound exploration of women's rights and personal growth.
The difference between taking and giving, and taking and not giving is the difference between life and death.
Asma Aisha Ansari
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Roadside Picnic
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 813
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asma-aisha-ansari.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Asma Aisha Ansari »

Candy's struggle against societal norms, her determination to become a doctor, and the thematic use of glass imagery are all intriguing. I'm excited to delve into this historical journey of strength and growth.
Imagination is a good servant, and a bad master. - Agatha Christie
Katie Kung
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Katie Kung »

A woman broken by assigned gender role and family pressure to produce an heir in order to secure a paid life? Sounds like some archaic story line. But what you mentioned therefore sounds interesting. I’ve always fascinated by health care and narratives relating to medical practice. Might give it a read! Thanks for the review.
Rodel Barnachea
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

I am intrigued by Candy's mother's plans for her to become a physician. I am interested in learning if she would be able to find success as a female in a male-dominated field.
Vivianvicky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Vivianvicky »

Oooh,so sorry for her at first.But I believe parents ought to understand their children and help understand their choices in life.Ladies face alot moreso in this male dominated fields of life.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Abortion brought conscience to the one who did. The result of Candy's pregnancy termination was devastating and it take a toll on her. Added a challenge to the male-dominated environment she has, would she be able to pursue her career? I wonder. Congratulations to the author on BOTD!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Mahi Mahak
Currently Reading: Against the Glass
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mahendra-kumar-meena.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Mahi Mahak »

The thrilling and deeply moving book "Against the Glass" by Linda M. Habib explores the complexity of love, self-discovery, and the pursuit of the truth. Habib spins a story with well-developed characters, a complex plot, and stimulating topics that keep readers interested. The story is set in a tiny coastal village and centers on Sarah, a young lady who is dealing with the abrupt disappearance of her best friend, Mia. Readers are immediately drawn into the enigmatic circumstances behind Mia's disappearance thanks to the book's eerie prologue. Habib creates an aura of mystery right away, laying the groundwork for an engaging read.
Through alternate points of view, the story develops and provides insights into the thoughts of numerous characters. Readers will find themselves rooting for Sarah as she navigates a web of secrets, lies, and unexpected twists because of her apparent desire to learn the truth about Mia's abduction. We are able to identify with each character personally thanks to Habib's deft character development, which gives their challenges and driving forces a sincere, relatable feel.
The descriptive and evocative writing style transports the reader to the coastal setting and vividly depicts the emotions of the story. The story has more depth because of Habib's skill at capturing the subtleties of human emotions, particularly grief and resiliency. The tension is gradually increased while yet allowing for adequate moments of meditation and introspection to give readers time to digest what is happening.
The novel's examination of the intricacies of friendship and human bonds is one of its strongest points. Habib explores themes of loyalty, betrayal, and the effect of secrets on relationships via the interactions of the characters. The dialogue is genuine and true to the characteristics of the characters, which adds to the sincerity of their interactions.
However, while "Against the Glass" is overall an engaging read, there are times when the pacing is a bit slow and some plot points could have been further developed to give the story more depth. In addition, dealing with some minor episodes can make the reader want to finish more.
To sum up, Linda M. Habib's "Against the Glass" is a gripping novel that skillfully combines mystery, drama, and emotional depth. With well-crafted characters and an engaging storyline, the book offers a rewarding reading experience. Fans of suspense and complex character-driven stories will find this novel a delightful addition to their reading list. Linda M. Habib's exploration of human nature and the intricacies of relationships will impress readers long after turning the last page. 

Return to “Historical Fiction”