Review of Two Faces of Janus

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: Public Hostage Public Ransom by William Bronston MD

Review of Two Faces of Janus

Post by El_limitless »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Two Faces of Janus" by Linnea Tanner.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book Two Faces of Janus is an ancient historical fiction short story written by Linnea Tanner. The story is set in ancient Rome. It explored the themes of love and politics. Lucius, a young, ambitious man who wants to get ahead politically in the state, needed the sponsorship of Emperor Augustus Caeser to serve as praetor in the Roman justice system.

His father, Lullus, allegedly betrayed the emperor's trust by openly committing adultery with his daughter, Julia. In addition to that, the emperor believes Lullus has plans to overthrow him. Will Lullus be spared from punishment by the emperor? Will Lullus' escapades affect his son's chances of riding on the emperor's back to gain political relevance? or will the emperor overlook events of the past and give Lucius his unwavering support? Find out by reading this interesting short story.

The book has some positive points. I like the author's writing style. The plot of the story was very systematic. Also, he was straight to the point and didn't bore the reader with unnecessary detail. I also like that he developed the characters and events in the book enough to give the reader a basis to connect with them. Again, I love that the story was open-ended. In the end, it leaves the reader desiring to know more about how things finally turned out for the protagonist. That's exactly the effect short stories should have on the reader.

I didn't find anything to dislike in the book. It perfectly fits the profile of a short story. It was concise and direct. It had virtually every attribute that makes up an enjoyable short story.

The book was exceptionally well-edited. I found no spelling or grammatical errors in it. Also, the events and the characters in the book were well developed. Consequently, I rate the book 4 out 4 stars. I didn't give the book a lower rating because I enjoyed every bit of the story. I see no reason to deduct a single star from the book. It was such an interesting read.

I recommend the book to readers who would want to know more about the ancient Roman political system, especially during the imperial rule of Augustus Caeser. Generally, the book is recommended to all lovers of historical fiction.

The book contains one graphic description. In my opinion, the description is not gory enough to disturb the minds of readers who do not appreciate too many graphic details. However, readers who cannot stand the slightest graphic description should pass on this book.

Two Faces of Janus
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Maliha Naveed
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Tales from the Grey Area
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maliha-naveed.html
Latest Review: Are You Love Smart or Love Stupid by Dr. Rachel Sims

Post by Maliha Naveed »

Having a literature background, the review instantly grabbed my attention. Roman empire provides the ground to understand the politics and its manipulations in its true sense. Great review.
collinsogw555
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-collinsogw555.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by collinsogw555 »

The title got my attention, the book 'two faces of Janus' says a lot about politics, and my love for politics is top-notch. I would love to read this book.
Eddy E
Currently Reading: In the Meantime
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eddy-e.html
Latest Review: Sena's Black Ross by Linda k jones

Post by Eddy E »

This Review is great. The book sounds like an interesting read. Politics, history, betrayal , it's the total package.
Muna Chizzy
Currently Reading: Gardening With Guns
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muna-chizzy.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Muna Chizzy »

A power hungry character, seems like an interesting story. Thanks for the captivating review.
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

The book for me, is absolutely intriguing. Having drama between characters such as Lullus and the Empire can only lead to a magnificent plot.Thank you for a great review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
DTamara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtamara.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by DTamara »

Very enticing review and well, ancient Rome, pole, and politics, what more can one ask. Thanks for the recommendation!
Mimidee Vanilly
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mimidee-vanilly.html
Latest Review: The Mystery Of Flight 2222 by Thomas Neviaser

Post by Mimidee Vanilly »

Reading the review make me want to read the book immediately. Although this book is fiction but it contains historical, political of Augustus Emperium. So it must be magnificent for reader who like historical fiction genre.
The detailed review also help us to preface the story to be understanded. Great review
Pandora10
Favorite Book: Remembering Christmas
Currently Reading: The Road to Management
Bookshelf Size: 116

Post by Pandora10 »

I enjoy historical fiction and this short novel set in ancient Rome, which explores the topics of love and politics, sounds interesting. It will be interesting to find out what choices Lucius makes.
Gabriela Contreras
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriela-contreras.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Gabriela Contreras »

This book sounds interesting, I felt some disappointment by the fact that it has an open ending, but the plot seems captivating enough that I won't mind if I decided to read it.
Duke Nwador
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-duke-nwador.html
Latest Review: Conversing with Various Entities by Mary Ellen Wall

Post by Duke Nwador »

When I started loving stories about Rome was when I watched "Spartacus" . Looking at the review makes me sure it's going to be an interesting story. Wonderful review
M Herbst
Currently Reading: King of Scars
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-m-herbst.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by M Herbst »

This short story sounds very intriguing, but I can never decide whether I like an open ending or not! But my curiosity will probably get the better of me! Looking forward to read it.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Life at the Precipice
Bookshelf Size: 755
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Post by Bertha Jackson »

This is a perfect book for fans of ancient Roman history. Thank you for your review.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Sable Pratt
Favorite Book: The Fox
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sable-pratt.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Sable Pratt »

I absolutely love the political drama and moral dilemmas that are usually portrayed to perfection in historical fiction books, and based on your review, Two Faces of Janus seems like my kind of read!
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

I'm not a fan of open-ended books. This was a very helpful review. I find neme Lullus extremely funny. I can't take the character seriously. Great job with the review.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl

Return to “Historical Fiction”