Review of Viking's Last Voyage

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 296
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: MISNEACH, The Story of Flora MacDonald by K.L. Huntley
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Review of Viking's Last Voyage

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Viking's Last Voyage" by Iral C. Nelson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Viking’s Last Voyage by Iral C. Nelson is a fascinating work of historical fiction. The author conducted an impressive amount of research into the Kensington Runestone. It was engraved in the year 1362 and discovered in Minnesota in 1898. The story follows a group of Vikings as they search for the lost Greenland colony of settlers. The Vikings were sent on this mission by King Magnus in 1354. His direction was to locate the colony or determine what became of the inhabitants. Their journey took them to remote areas of America as they followed the rivers and streams in their Viking ships. Along the way, they were attacked by Native Americans who believed they were hostile and intended to cause them harm.

The leader of the Viking expedition was Torkel the Warrior. His group consisted of twenty men forced to fight for survival. They met Chief Grey Hawk, who tried to deter them from crossing through the lands of the Ojibwe tribe. His hope was to avoid bloodshed. However, largely due to the language barrier, the Vikings did not heed his warning. One of Torkel’s men, Ivar, saw a beautiful Ojibwe maiden and was instantly taken with her. He thought of her often through the journey and was surprised when their paths crossed again.

I enjoyed reading this book. The author’s writing style kept me engaged in the story from the beginning to the end. I especially appreciated when the story was first told from the perspective of the Vikings and then told from the perspective of the Native Americans. With the language barrier, one group couldn’t understand the motives or statements of the other group. However, once the alternative perspective was provided, it became clear to the reader. What I disliked about the book initially was the language of the Vikings. The phrasing seemed awkward at first and was difficult to understand. However, after the first few pages It was much easier to follow and did not take away from my overall enjoyment of the book.

The book presents historical facts and I found it fascinating to read. The characters were realistic and engaging. There were elements of action and adventure, as well as romance. The romance between the Ojibwe maiden and the Viking was a joy to read. They each experienced an immediately attraction despite not being able to speak to one another. Their interactions were touching and would appeal to fans of romance. It was also interesting to learn about the Runestone found in Minnesota.

I would recommend this book to readers who enjoy historical fiction. This book is filled with action and adventure that would also interest fans of that genre. There were very few errors in the book, so I believe it was professionally edited. I give this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars.

Viking's Last Voyage
View: on Bookshelves
Mercy119
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fireside119.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Mercy119 »

I appreciate a well-researched book. Since I don't know much about the Vikings, this book would be a good read.
Anurla Sorilla
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Anurla Sorilla »

I enjoy reading this, even though I'm not good at english as professionals as others, but it's a very well story, the informations are satisfying.The story goes well.Keep it up.
Thank you .
collinsogw555
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-collinsogw555.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by collinsogw555 »

I enjoy reading historical books so am not surprised it got my attention, would add this to my shelves. Great review.
Kanchan Bhil
Currently Reading: That Guy What Kill Topsy
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanchan-bhil.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Kanchan Bhil »

I haven't read much about Vikings but, I have been interested in that premise for a long time. Historical fictions are always a delight to read because of the research and their dual nature. They are fiction yet, a lot of things are non-fiction in them. This book is going on my want-to-read shelf for sure. Thank you for this amazing review!
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

It's amazing that the carving was found in Minnesota, of all places. Interesting read. Thanks for the review!
Theana De lima Araujo
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theana-d.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Theana De lima Araujo »

Sounds like an interesting side of history not often explored. Thank you for the review it was a joy to read and it also creates so many questions about the content of the book.
Emidio Inocencio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emidio-inocencio.html
Latest Review: Diamond J&G Manor Parlay Gambling House by Sylvie L Gionet
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 2%

Post by Emidio Inocencio »

I am fascinated with Vikings tales, I think I will enjoy this one too. Great review
DTamara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtamara.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by DTamara »

I simply have to read this book. I have read a lot of historical fiction about the clash of different cultures, but none between Vikings and Native Americans, not to mention the story is intriguing, adventurous with a splash of romance. The fact that you mention actual historic artifacts really piqued my interest. What an amazing review, thanks!
Mbenma Esther 080
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbenma-esther-080.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mbenma Esther 080 »

I love adventure stories to the core. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”