Review of Saving the Front

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Review of Saving the Front

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Saving the Front" by M.E. Gustafson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

As part of the Army Nurse Corps, Lieutenant Dorothea Oliver is deployed to Europe as part of the war effort during World War II. Before the ship sails away from New York City, she gazes at the Statue of Liberty, where she feels a sense of purpose and encouragement. On the ship, her unit practices drills and is briefed on standard operating procedures. The realities of war sink in when the ship comes across enemy submarines; later, they see the calamitous effects of war on the European civilian population. Her mission is to treat wounded soldiers, many of whom have suffered grisly injuries. As the war rages on, the constant waves of wounded men, the shortage of supplies, and the stress of combat threaten to overwhelm the nurses. Saving the Front, written by M.E. Gustafson, is the story of a group of American nurses and the essential role they played in the defeat of Hitler’s tenacious army, a formidable foe who shows little signs of giving up.

The author keenly paints the picture of military life during World War II. The constant industrial smell mixed with cleaners, the vaccinations, and the frequent inventories (of everything) will bring back memories for many veterans. I chose this story hoping to experience a different perspective of the war, one that received much less attention. Military nurses, as you will see in this piece, do not wait in hospitals for the wounded to arrive; they are right there in action, traveling with the ground troops.

The best things about this book are the historical backdrop and the description of the setting. The author said it very well when she expressed that America is sheltered from the horrors of war; American civilians have not seen for themselves the rubble after an air raid or smelled the stench of rotting flesh. The European countryside, both in its natural beauty and in shambles from the war, is described here, evoking a sense of empathy for our country’s allies and pride for what was ultimately accomplished.

The character development was appropriately limited; in a story such as this, I feel too much character development would detract from the plot and the book’s tone. This is best illustrated in the final paragraph of the book, which was my favorite part. I also loved the structure of the book. Each chapter seems to blend into the next one. For example, one chapter would end with, “the fresh air and peacefulness of being on the deck was short-lived, however.” Phrases such as this draw the reader in and heighten the anticipation of what would happen next. Additionally, the professional editing and attractive formatting allow for a fluid read.

There is nothing I disliked about the book. The descriptions of wounded soldiers were not very graphic, and there is very limited and mild profanity, which surprised me. At first, I wondered if this was realistic, as I can imagine soldiers arriving in German-occupied France might be a little more unfiltered in their communication. On the other hand, the scant and mild use of inappropriate language makes this book appropriate for younger readers. For the descriptive plot-driven narrative described above, I happily award this book a perfect 4 out of 4 stars.

I recommend Saving the Front to readers who cannot get enough of historical fiction, particularly the World War II era. Those enticed by plot-driven narratives will relish the fast-paced and rapidly evolving plot. Military veterans will love the details that show the good, bad, and ugly of life with Uncle Sam. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and the unique perspective it brings to readers.

Saving the Front
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

I think this is an amazing books that nightlights the struggles of army nurse corps in saving the american soldiers during the second world war. Thanks for your detailed and insightful review of this book.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
marta baglioni
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

It is always interesting to read about women's take on the War. Thank you for the great review!
Mbenma Esther 080
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbenma-esther-080.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mbenma Esther 080 »

Indeed, participation in war period can be in any form. I love how the Army nurses are unveiled in the story. Good review
Ferdinand_Otieno
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an amazing historical fiction book highlighting a story of a group of American nurses and the essential role they played in the defeat of Hitler’s tenacious army. The book has a free sample on Amazon Kindle and has an inciteful OnlineBookClub review. Congrats on the BOTD.
Petronila O
Favorite Book: Annihilation
Currently Reading: Free Fish Friday
Bookshelf Size: 556

Post by Petronila O »

Historical fictional book of lietenant Dorothea Oliver signed up service her county in the WW2 she had no clue of the danger's she would face while providing Frontline medicine to ANC.. nice book rich in history
Clare Jose
Favorite Book: Let's Pretend This Never Happened
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clare-jose.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Clare Jose »

This is the first time I've come across a book that presents war from a nurse's point of view. I actually also appreciate the fact that the book focuses on war itself more than the characters. Today's book seems thought-provoking and I would love to give this a go.
Thank you for your review!
Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile."
Frank Mutuma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frank-mutuma.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Frank Mutuma »

Interesting to read a book showing another perspective of war apart from that of military leaders
Michelle Menezes
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-menezes.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Michelle Menezes »

I have come across many books that focus on World War II and the atrocities Hitler committed, but this one comes across as a unique story told from the perspective of nurses. It is definitely heartbreaking but looks like an interesting read. Thank you for the wonderful review!
Kira Bonita Reece
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy, Box Set
Bookshelf Size: 358
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kira-bonita-reece.html
Latest Review: Starboard Eight by Brian Casey

Post by Kira Bonita Reece »

This is my first time seeing a book about war from a nurse's perspective. I think it's quite unique. Your review was very informative and got me interested in reading this book. Thanks for your thoughts.
Ruth Frances A
Favorite Book: Rescuing General Patton
Currently Reading: Desperate Season
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruth-frances-a.html
Latest Review: Lucky by Spare Time Novels
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Ruth Frances A »

I am glad that this book features the role of nurses on the war front. The fact that they went to the front line occasionally to help in their area of expertise deserves mention. The other aspect of the book tackles the effect of the war all around. In America, the effects were different from Europe where devastation reined more. This is a gripping tale centered around WWI. Thank you for this review that brings out shortages and other aspects of the war. It is good that you point out the character development and the storyline. Congratulations BOTD.
Ruth Frances A
Favorite Book: Rescuing General Patton
Currently Reading: Desperate Season
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruth-frances-a.html
Latest Review: Lucky by Spare Time Novels
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Ruth Frances A »

I am glad that this book features the role of nurses on the war front. The fact that they went to the front line occasionally to help in their area of expertise deserves mention. The other aspect of the book tackles the effect of the war all around. In America, the effects were different from Europe where devastation reined more. This is a gripping tale centered around WWI. Thank you for this review that brings out shortages and other aspects of the war. It is good that you point out the character development and the storyline. Congratulations BOTD.
Sam Otaru
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Sam Otaru »

Great read. Tribute to the medical people in WW 2 especially the nurses
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: The Bright Side of Going Dark
Bookshelf Size: 2390
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

The best things about this book are the historical backdrop and the description of the setting. The author said it very well when she expressed that America is sheltered from the horrors of war; American civilians have not seen for themselves the rubble after an air raid or smelled the stench of rotting flesh. The European countryside, both in its natural beauty and in shambles from the war, is described here, evoking a sense of empathy for our country’s allies and pride for what was ultimately accomplished.
You make a good point. Though American soldiers (or nurses) must've suffered a lot, the civilians didn't bear the same suffering as the civilians in Europe, who suffered food shortages and nonstop violence.
There is nothing I disliked about the book. The descriptions of wounded soldiers were not very graphic, and there is very limited and mild profanity, which surprised me. At first, I wondered if this was realistic, as I can imagine soldiers arriving in German-occupied France might be a little more unfiltered in their communication. On the other hand, the scant and mild use of inappropriate language makes this book appropriate for younger readers. For the descriptive plot-driven narrative described above, I happily award this book a perfect 4 out of 4 stars.
I think you're totally right. I'm quite sure soldiers must've sworn like...well, sailors. But I guess since some people are so bothered by profanity, the author must've made an attempt to make the book friendlier to a broader audience.
What a great review! Thank you!
Taiwo_Olawoye
Currently Reading: OldEarth Aram Encounter
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1femi1.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Taiwo_Olawoye »

This is a fantastic story. Military nurses, I had assumed, wait in the safety of hospitals for the injured. The dangers that military nurses endure on the front lines of war are revealed in this book. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”