Review of Beyond Hate

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gabrielle Sigaki
Currently Reading: Business Basics BootCamp
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielle-sigaki.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Review of Beyond Hate

Post by Gabrielle Sigaki »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Beyond Hate" by Jin Williams.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Tim was the owner of a bar and a widower who decided to use dating websites to meet new women. He thought it wouldn’t work until he found a woman called Jenny, a Muslim Filipina who seemed genuine. However, Tim didn’t get to know her better since she was assassinated right in front of her computer while talking on a video call. Later, he found out that the man who killed her was Paul Asoph, as known as Snake, who was a merciless killer involved in several issues with terrorist organizations. Now, we get to know Paul Asoph, but also what happened in his life until the moment he killed Jenny.

Beyond Hate by Jim Williams is a historical fiction book that brings Paul Asoph as the main character. The book is narrated from the first-person perspective, but it begins with the reports from Tim’s and Jenny’s perspectives. It’s a novel filled with interesting characters and suspense, even though we know the end of the story. It brings fictional details about terrorist organizations and violations of human rights too.

My favorite part of this book was Paul’s development as the main character. He wasn’t a good person, but he wasn’t the typical villain who didn’t care for anything or anyone. At first, he seemed to be purely evil and cold-hearted, but later we can see that he is human after all. For example, he was a killer who didn’t attach to anyone, but he found a friend in Gabe, who was also his student in Beirut. Sometimes, Paul showed humanity when he couldn't protect someone innocent, but he also shows his evil side when he enjoys killing other innocent people. Paul is one of the most complex characters I have ever known, and that’s what makes him even more realistic. In real life, some people tend to be good and people who tend to be evil, but it is extremely rare to find someone who is entirely good or evil.

The only aspect that I didn’t enjoy in this book was the lack of likable characters. However, I think it fulfills the author’s purpose of writing a fiction book from the villain’s point of view, so I’m not taking a star off my rating because of it. Besides, this novel seems professionally edited since I didn’t find over ten errors while reading it.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It’s a unique historical fiction book with interesting character development. I recommend it to those readers who are already interested in historical fiction books that bring the villain as the narrator and main character. However, I don’t recommend it to those readers who are sensitive to the themes of physical, psychological, and sexual abuse since this book might be triggering for them. I also don’t recommend it to younger readers since it contains sexual content and violent graphic scenes.

Beyond Hate
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Chiwelite O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwelite-o.html
Latest Review: The Water Bear by Groucho Jones

Post by Chiwelite O »

I'm curious to know what a book written from a villains point of view seems like. Thank you for the recommendation.
Georgia Lyonhyde
Currently Reading: A Tale For The Time Being
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgia-lyonhyde.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Georgia Lyonhyde »

As thorough as your review was, I feel like so many spoilers have been given that it has possibly taken much of my enjoyment and suspense away. I know who the killer is, who he befriends. I have a plot of how he develops. I am intrigued to read it and will probably add it to my shelf but it will be a long time before I pick it up as I want to forget much of what I now know.
You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.
–Paul Sweeney :tiphat:
Emmanuel Luyakha
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Emmanuel Luyakha »

It's already triggering me though am sti curious to know the character development of this main character Paul. Thank you for the great review.
Pearl Thomas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-thomas.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Pearl Thomas »

The character development of an antihero, from a total villain to a likable person is a tough thing to do. The fact that this book does that well shows the author's undeniable skill of writing. Great review.
collinsogw555
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-collinsogw555.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by collinsogw555 »

This book sounds interesting and I am curious to know what happened to Tim. Great review.
Barbara Perini
Currently Reading: Il nome della rosa
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbara-perini.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Barbara Perini »

This seems to be an interesting publication, as  historical fiction book.  It's intriguing that mentions themes such physical and psychological abuses. It's a delicate topic to read about,  indeed. I also like to know about the characters, and reading your words about  Paul’s development, I agree that's interesting.
Tarie07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarie07.html
Latest Review: Korian: Ark of the Fallen King by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Tarie07 »

I'm not a fan of historical fiction but this book sounds intriguing. I would love to read it. Thanks for the great review.
Mbenma Esther 080
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbenma-esther-080.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mbenma Esther 080 »

Paul's character is a true model of how human beings can behave. Thanks for the review.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

Really interesting plot. It seems very realistic. Thanks for the reading recommendation.
Elendu Ekechukwu
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elendu-ekechukwu.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Elendu Ekechukwu »

I'm not a fan of historical fiction; but this seems very interesting from the review and I would give it a try

Return to “Historical Fiction”