Review of Ancient Reunion

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Review of Ancient Reunion

Post by Jsovermyer »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ancient Reunion" by Sue Paterson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Strong Eagle and Raven, the young lovers, are excited to plan their upcoming wedding. Their small tribe lives peacefully in the Rocky Mountain foothills. When a band of Spanish deserters attacks the tribe, Strong Eagle tells Raven to flee and save her life and that of their unborn child. Raven believes the soldiers have killed her family and everyone else. She struggles to survive in the wilderness, worrying about the soldiers possibly pursuing her and the wild animals living in the region. Can Raven live on her own? Will she find help? Has any of her tribe survived the attack?

Ancient Reunion Raven’s World by Sue Paterson is an exciting, romantic, and heartbreaking story of Indian life in the Old West. My favorite part of the story is the amount of detail given about tribal customs and traditions. It is clear the author did a lot of research before writing this story. I learned about the family structure, and their food, dress, and hygiene. Raven, her mother, and her sisters tell of the wedding preparations. The author describes the ceremony for the dead with compassion and respect.

Raven is a well-written and believable character. At first, she is hopeful about the future and deeply in love. Then the story tells of her courage and determination to survive. Other intriguing characters are the brothers Andre and Jacqo, French traders and friends to the Indian tribe. They are complex men torn between their French Huguenot heritage and a desire to settle down among the welcoming natives.

One thing I disliked about this story is the length. At only 170 pages on my Kindle copy, I would like the text to be longer. Stories of Indians and settlers have always fascinated me, and I found the world portrayed captivating and appealing. Another thing was that the story ends with “To be continued.” It wrapped up most of the plot points but left enough unresolved to warrant a sequel. I didn’t want it to end, and now I have to wait until the next book to see how everything turns out.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It should appeal to a wide audience as it has adventure, romance, and history. If you like Indian lore, stories of survival, and thrilling battles, this one is for you.

I found several grammatical errors and some that may be printer formatting problems. These were all minor and did not interfere with my enjoyment of the story. However, because of these errors, I could not give the book a perfect score. I am awarding Ancient Reunion Raven’s World by Sue Paterson 3 out of 4 stars. It deserved greater than two stars because it is an exciting and well-written novel. I loved this story. I think you will like it too.

Ancient Reunion
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Nkgchidimma080
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkgchidimma080.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Nkgchidimma080 »

I think this would be a very interesting book to read,I would love to know how Raven was able to survive with the pain of loosing all her loved ones,I hope while reading the book I would also find out that maybe she still has relatives who survived the attack,beautiful review.
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

I have to read this book. I am itching to find out whether Raven survives. Thank you for a great review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

Strong Eagle and Raven sounds like very interesting. Good job.
Mbenma Esther 080
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbenma-esther-080.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mbenma Esther 080 »

Fighting for true love takes commitment from both parties. I believe it was not easy for Strong Eagle and Raven. Nice review
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

Am reading this book to find out how Raven was able to survive through all the challenges life has thrown at him,beautiful review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”