Review of When Starlings Fly as One

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Review of When Starlings Fly as One

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "When Starlings Fly as One" by Nancy Blanton.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When Starlings Fly as One, a historical novel by Nancy Blanton, narrates a segment of the Irish rebellion in 1641. Numerous Irish clans, usually engaged in petty skirmishes, had united against the invading English forces. They conquered seven mighty castles and raided the surrounding English villages. However, when Sir Arthur Freke declined to surrender the Rathbarry castle to the Irish, the latter kept it under siege for most of the year. Blanton’s novel centers on this siege, taking a closer look at the lives of the captives.

Blanton based her book on actual historical events and starred real-life characters. The novel was well-researched, with clear indications of the areas where she took the liberty to incorporate fictional accounts. I loved how she authentically portrayed the growing unrest among the Irish just before the breakout of the rebellion. Throughout the book, Blanton maintained an impartial viewpoint, detailing the cruelty and violence of both the Irish and the English soldiers without vilifying any side.

The novel spanned from January to October of 1641, providing the readers with a detailed account of the siege. As the days progressed, the once flourishing community gradually dwindled to a handful of captives. Stripped of its former glory and luxurious lifestyle, the Rathbarry Castle witnessed various misfortunes, backfiring plans, gruesome deaths, and a pitiful existence for the inhabitants. Yet, the castle remained resilient, steadfastly protecting its occupants. Gradually, Rathbarry became more than a stronghold; it became a refuge, a home.

The novel boasted a diverse cast of characters. A Dutch orphan named Merel de Vries was the main narrator. Being a brave girl, she risked her life to set free a group of Irish prisoners. Merel even dared to flee the besieged castle to seek outside help. Even when she gained freedom, she chose to stay at her beloved Rathbarry. Another realistic character was Tynan, Sir Arthur’s horse marshal. Born an Irish yet serving an English lord, he nevertheless managed to stay loyal to both sides. Merel and Tynan’s budding romance added to the novel’s charm. There were several negative characters, including a self-centered Lady Carey and a cruel, snobbish Lady Dorothy, the mistress of Rathbarry. In contrast, Sir Arthur’s just character earned my respect.

My reading experience was not entirely without complaints. The chapters focussing on the Irish side of the story failed to capture my interest. They seemed to be mere fillers while Rathbarry occupied the center stage. Even the character of Teige-an-Duna MacCarthy, the legendary Irish hero, felt flat. I would have liked more insights into his life and ideals.

I rate the novel 3 out of 4 stars, detracting one star for the issues. There were a handful of formatting errors, but nothing too distracting. I would heartily recommend this novel to anyone who appreciates historical fiction. Despite a few violent incidents, I believe this book would be suitable for both young adults and adults.

When Starlings Fly as One
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Poojitha Borra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poojitha-borra.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Poojitha Borra »

I actually do not know anything about the Irish rebellion. There is no better way to learn than reading historical fiction. I like the fact that the author has an impartial viewpoint. Your review is quite elaborate and engaging. You certainly have a knack for adjectives, they are well put in the review, and I enjoyed reading it. I will certainly give this book a try.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
The frant1c reader
Favorite Book: Crime and Punshment
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-frant1c-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by The frant1c reader »

It's a shame the book didn't get a full rating. However, it still seems to be worth reading. Insightful review! :D
What do you despise? By this you are truly known....
~Dune.
marta baglioni
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

It's a shame that Irish characters didn't come alive on the page. The plot is really interesting. Thanks!
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

Historical fiction is intriguing, they give insight into real-life activities. The conquering of several mighty villages tells how this book will help in illustrating the extent men can go to accomplish their aim. I just can't wait to read this book.
Mbenma Esther 080
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbenma-esther-080.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mbenma Esther 080 »

The characters also had various roles to play effectively. I just like how the acted out the message of the book. Great review
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

I love historical fictions, and I think this review is so intriguing, thanks for the honest review.
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

This sounds like a balanced and interesting historical fiction. Thank you for your excellent review. :balloon:
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks

Return to “Historical Fiction”