Review of A Span of Moments

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
That Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-that-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Unspoken Things The Inlightenment by Wilfred Thomas

Review of A Span of Moments

Post by That Reviewer »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Span of Moments" by Robert Beech.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

After so many years, a man leaves his exotic lifestyle in the city to return to his childhood environment in Marcosta Island. He comes back when the island is on the verge of losing its sauce and beauty. He has to save it but risks losing an integral part of his life in the process.

A Span of Moments showcased life on an island — the beauty and togetherness therein. The moments in the book were championed mainly by past actions that resulted in a need to do right by society. Robert Beech portrayed the concept of karma. He also projected how some individuals instigate karma on themselves because of their sadness towards their past actions. It was educating seeing this subject from a somewhat different angle.

Robert Beech did not try to add more events to give extra spice or overdevelop the story. The story was a straightforward one. It followed a particular storyline and continued till the end of the story. In essence, the author did not need to apply suspense, horror, action, and the likes to create an epic storyline. The beauty of this work of art is in the simplicity of the storyline.

The book is written from the omniscient point of view. The beauty of the omniscient point of view is that it enables the reader to peer into the lives of different characters at once. It also helps the reader access the attitude and mannerisms of the characters. I love the way Robert Beech expresses the thought of his characters. The omniscient point of view does not stop him from including the characters' inner thoughts without introducing a dialogue.

Books that help me learn a little about another language will forever be euphoric for me. The little Spanish spoken by one of the characters is so cool. I'm pretty sure I won't forget some of those words in a hurry. Words like "señor," "si," et cetera will be added to my foreign language vocabulary.

I'm not so intrigued by the lengthy descriptions. A lot of paragraphs are dedicated to describing a specific event. This can bore a reader. I got bored to an extent. However, this issue isn't severe enough to pull the book down, considering that there are only a few errors. Therefore, I give the book four out of four stars. I recommend this book to people who enjoy a simple, straightforward story, especially bordering on life on an island.

A Span of Moments
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
marta baglioni
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

This seems like the kind of book you read when you need to relax. Thank you for the honest review!
TLOLI SELEPE
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by TLOLI SELEPE »

this is very kind and is teaching me a life of islands and I didn't be in islands before so that is mean lots to me
collinsogw555
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-collinsogw555.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by collinsogw555 »

This book sounds interesting to me and I would read this to know if he was able to save the island. Great review.
T T 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-t-2.html
Latest Review: Three loves and other stories by Lata Gullapalli

Post by T T 2 »

I always wanted to try a good historical fiction book without me getting bored and this seems a good option to start with. Thank you for this detailed review.
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

I love stories about island, Thanks for the honest review, would love to read more about this book.
Sheila Gehlmann
Currently Reading: Chasing Time
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheila-gehlmann.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Sheila Gehlmann »

What a great review! It is very thorough and descriptive and gives me enough information to make a decision on whether or not to read the book. I especially liked your mention of an "omniscient point of view". Having just read a book with this aspect made me interested in reading this one all the more. I definitely want to read "A Span of Moments". Thank you.

Return to “Historical Fiction”