Review of The Evolution of Charlie K

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Review of The Evolution of Charlie K

Post by Anthony__ »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Evolution of Charlie K" by Richard Nye.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Evolution of Charlie K by Richard Nye is a historical fiction book that characterizes Charlie Kikira's adventures.

This book is divided into four parts. The first part of the book describes Charlie Kikira's upbringing in Papua New Guinea and the circumstances that made him gain a scholarship to the United States of America. The second part of the book talks about his experiences in America. Also, the author addressed how he pulled through as a black man. Part Three focused on Charlie's return to Papua New Guinea and his ordeals while trying to help his people with his new education. Part Four is the aftermath of Charlie's journey. Read this book to find out whether Charlie made a good choice in traveling to the United States of America or not.

Set in the 1960s, when the Australian Government still rules over Papua New Guinea, the book talks about how citizens of the country lived primitively and how they were satisfied with their kind of living. The book was properly organized into parts. That made it easier for me to understand the storyline.

Frankly, the book is very educative. I had not heard of Papua New Guinea until I read this book. This book is full of insights into the cultures and relations of the citizens of this country. The author described tribespeople's traditional attire, their wedding ceremonies, and how the huts in the villages are arranged. All these rich cultures were my takeaway from the book. It made me view life from a different perspective.

Charlie Kikira is the leading character, and what I love most about him is his ability not to conform to Americans' lifestyles. Coming from a country that was probably the most primitive in the world, he still preferred his people's way of living. Charlie knew that the lifestyle of his fellow people back at home would change due to the widespread civilization around the world. So, he was determined to help his country achieve a positive change.

This book contains a pictorial representation of Papua New Guinea, which was helpful. At first, I thought this book would be boring, but I found Charlie's adventures in the United States of America and his own country very interesting. I also love the way the book was distributed into parts; this shows that it was well plotted and organized even though it was a debut novel. Furthermore, the book was funny at some point, especially when he was driving his boss to a meeting and got stopped by a policeman. The incident that preceded that was hilarious. For these reasons, I am rating The Evolution of Charlie K 4 out of 4 stars. Also, this is a well-edited book because I only noticed two grammatical errors.

I recommend this book to people who love reading adventurous stories because this book contains a lot of great adventures. Also, historical fans who want to know more about Africa will not be disappointed. If you are interested in racial history, this book is also for you.

On a final note, there is absolutely nothing to dislike about the book.

The Evolution of Charlie K
View: on Bookshelves
collinsogw555
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-collinsogw555.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by collinsogw555 »

Adventure books are always interesting to me, as it describes the experience of a young Africa child traveling to the united state to gain knowledge and help is people. I would love to read this book to learn more about his ordeal. Thanks for the review.
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

While journeying in the quest to find yourself amongst men, there are different stages a man ought to pass through. Great review!
Jon+h
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Jon+h »

:techie-studyingbrown:Adventure books are always interesting to me, as it describes the experience of a young Africa child
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Salah bourouba »

historical book talk about culture and traditions are most educative, interesting book, great review
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq

Return to “Historical Fiction”