Review of Education of a Native Son

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chiwelite O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwelite-o.html
Latest Review: The Water Bear by Groucho Jones

Review of Education of a Native Son

Post by Chiwelite O »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Education of a Native Son" by H Richard Dozier.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Education of a Native Son by H Richard Dozier is a suspense-filled book with many twists and turns that will keep you glued from the beginning to the end. It is a book of self examination, emotions, and the triumph of good over evil. It begins where the novel Native Son by Richard Wright ends.

This book comprises six parts that take us into the life of Thomas Isiah, his family, and his friends. Thomas, a young black man, also known as Little, grew up in Harlem. He was confronted with a lot of challenges and pressures of being black in an all-white country.

As the story progressed, Thomas was admitted into a prestigious Ivy League university in New England. On his first day of arrival, he was insulted for being black. He nearly killed himself because of how bad he felt, but Stephanie and Alejandro came through for him until they graduated. While he was still trying to adjust to college life, he learned about the secrets of his parent's past, which led to the destruction of the relationship between him and his family. Was he able to restore the relationship between him and his family? Were they able to move past all that happened? I encourage you to get a copy of this book to find out.

This book has a lot of positive aspects. The narrative technique was brilliant, and the plot naturally unfolded from one chapter to another. The author's detailed description kept me glued from the beginning to the end of this book. I believe any reader with interest in fiction would have felt the same way too. I also loved the fact that the characters were dynamic. For instance, Thomas and his new friends went from mere strangers to being the best of friends. The differences in their personalities made way for realistic interactions in the book. I also found the language of this book relatively easy to understand because I did not have any difficulty with the book. This book was blended with both tragedies and humour. It made reading it enjoyable. I cried at some point in this book, and I laughed as well. An example of a time I cried was when Ruth's mother killed Little. I think Richard did a fantastic job with this book.

I tried so hard to find a negative aspect to this book, but I found none aside from the fact that I found errors in this book.

This book has a lot of errors; it was not professionally edited. For this reason, I would deduct one star from my rating. Therefore, I rate Education of a Native Son 3 out of 4 stars. I did not give this book a lower rating because the errors didn’t take away the overall pleasure I had while I read the book. I recommend this book to all those who enjoyed the book Native Son by Richard Wright. Also, people who want to enlighten themselves about racism would find this book fascinating.

Education of a Native Son
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ogugua Obinna Stephen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obinna9058.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Ogugua Obinna Stephen »

This sound like Little was abandoned. Thanks for his friends that came through for him. Friends really can make or mar us. You did a great review.
Gurpreet Kaur 13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gurpreet-kaur-13.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by Gurpreet Kaur 13 »

By reading this review, I become interested to read this book. Therefore, would like to add this to my bookshelves.
I think, racism really punish many innocent people without any crime. We need to adapt a broad mind for the things that are not harming us physically, mentally or financially. If someone's color is black than what's our problem. That person may be more intelligent than us. Having a white skin does not mean that we are perfect in all manners.

I would definitely read this and will give my review again for this book.

Thanks and regards.
Same Mashiane
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-same-mashiane.html
Latest Review: Money Faucet by Joe Calderwood

Post by Same Mashiane »

Judging from this review it "Education of a native son" by H Richard Dozier sounds interesting, I love reading books that not only educates readers but also has humour.
Nonso Ok
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-ok.html
Latest Review: A Murder in Brownsville by Donald Steven Collins

Post by Nonso Ok »

I enjoyed the book Native Son and I guess this would be an awesome book. Thank you for your review.
collinsogw555
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-collinsogw555.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by collinsogw555 »

I love the fact that this book is filled with suspense and Thomas being discriminated had to go through a lot of challenges but was able to defect all obstacles he faced. Thank you for your review.
Rizki Pradana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rizki-pradana.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Rizki Pradana »

When I look at the title, I know the book will be interesting. Furthermore, when I know Thomas has to go through a lot of pain from discrimination and he can defend himself make me want to read this book immediately.

Return to “Historical Fiction”