Review of The King's Corpse

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Oyedeji Okikioluwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 964
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orizon.html
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi

Review of The King's Corpse

Post by Oyedeji Okikioluwa »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The King's Corpse" by MJ Jones.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The King's Corpse is a 210-page historical novel by M. J. Jones. It explores the themes of adventure, fantasy, and humor. The book shows the political activities that take place under the guise of religion.

When a proper burial for Edward, the dead King, is required for the coronation of the next King, Ethelred, the service of Tewdwr ap Tryffin is imminent. Lady Flæda directs him to a poet, Wynstan, who knew where the body was. In part two, Ordwulf told him that the body in the Queen's possession was not King Edward but another person. He continued by proposing a deal of King Edward's body for the freedom of Thrima, a woman that he liked. Tryff now had to find Wynstan and the body through Crawe, Wynstan's beloved. Meanwhile, a war is ongoing. Grab a copy of this book to get the details and understand why almost everyone was bent on getting the body of King Edward.

The book was narrated in the first-person point of view. It made use of suspense such that every chapter ended with a hunger to keep on reading. An excellent structuring and characterization facilitated this. I admired the use of highly descriptive words in the book because it helped create a mental picture in readers' minds. Given the book's setting, the book contained a few archaic words, such as yeoman. Some of the names were even hard to pronounce, and Tryff confessed such in the book. However, the author was considerate and made the diction quite easy to understand, and the story flowed on, undisturbed.

The book contained a bit of Latin, which showed the history and roots of early Christianity. It also referred to several saints, like St. Fortuna, St. David, and St. Christopher. It gave some Christian relics and objects associated with and used in the medieval period. The book also alluded to and quoted the Bible books such as Psalm and Songs of Solomon. It even explained how saints work and their respective roles.

The book was humorous. The part where Tryff said that he would not touch Crawe when she was interrogated at her house, even if the Archangel told him to, was hilarious. His show of disgust was epic. Where he talked about women and how sneaky they were, was also funny. My favorite character is Wynstan. Despite being one of the antagonists, his courage, naughty nature, and attitude were interesting.

There was nothing to dislike in the book. It only contained a few minor errors, which did not disturb my reading experience. I admire the author's well-delivered imagination and writing skills, and the poem at the beginning of the book was superb. Therefore, I rate The King's Corpse 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to lovers of historical novels and fiction.

The King's Corpse
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi
jassson68
Favorite Book: Snow Country Lane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jassson68.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by jassson68 »

I would definitely like to read this book. It is kind of intriguing to me
Apple 7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-apple-7.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Apple 7 »

The blend of humor, suspense and mystery perceived from your review makes it a wonderful book...nice review
tcarter2007
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by tcarter2007 »

I love historical books, especially during the medieval period which is one of the main reasons I will read this book according to your well written review.
Ekezie1998
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekezie1998.html
Latest Review: life lessons of wayne by shawn wayne swearingen

Post by Ekezie1998 »

This looks like quite an intriguing plot. Would definitely love to have this one on my shelf. Great review.
Stacy Graham
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Stacy Graham »

Wow! I just signed up to try out writing book reviews today. Your review is so great! I would frame it and put it on my fridge! I am already a big fan of historical fiction. I typically go for things more recent I’m history hit your review has got me sold! I will be reading this book sooner rather than later! Thank you for your hard work and beautiful writing! I can’t wait to read more from you! I might have to come to you for some pointers now! Lol

Return to “Historical Fiction”