Review of A Lady's Scheme (The Best Laid Plans Series)

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
brooke oakes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brooke-oakes.html
Latest Review: The Intelligence Factor by Erik Fisher

Review of A Lady's Scheme (The Best Laid Plans Series)

Post by brooke oakes »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Lady's Scheme (The Best Laid Plans Series)" by Shannon Wiederkehr.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Lady's Scheme (The Best Laid Plans Series) by Shannon Wiederkehr was an easy read with very entertaining characters. The fictional story takes place in the 1800s in London. It starts with a few wealthy families who want to marry their daughters off to wealthy suitors. Will they be married for money, or will they be married for love?

The girls in this story are a tight-knit group of friends. In the beginning, they appear as if they aren't sure of what they want in life. They know that they must marry and are eager to marry the man of their dreams. It seems as if the main characters, Lady Kent and Radcliffe, hate each other. In a series of unfortunate events, Lady Kent falls clumsily several times into the presence of Radcliffe. Angrily he tells her to stay away from him. The reader follows as Wiederkehr reveals a twist of events where Lady Kent throws Radcliffe into a pond. This turn of events moves them from verbal sparing to enjoying each other's company.

As the story goes on, the friends find themselves learning more about themselves. They have several suitors that stop by their houses. They also attend some dances. Each event becomes a stepping stone that will lead them to their destined love. You can feel the tight friendship that they have. They want to help each other get the man that they love. The friends even being plotting together. The friends want to see each other marry the man they love instead of just being tied to someone for money.

I enjoyed this book. The characters were witty, and I found myself laughing several times. I couldn't put this book down because Lady Kent and her friends were always getting into mischief. I loved the character development through this book. The author did a great job of including details that made the reader feel as if they were a part of the story watching it happen.

The end of the book was a little too graphic for me when Radcliffe and Lady Kent get together. It was only a short portion of the book, though. The book was well written, and I found only a few errors. Therefore I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. I did not rate it lower because I did enjoy the book and how the characters evolved through the story.

I recommend this book for adults that enjoy romantic historical fiction. It is a fast-paced and easy read. I think many readers looking for some light reading would enjoy this book.

A Lady's Scheme (The Best Laid Plans Series)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
leonard cavallaro
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leonard-cavallaro.html
Latest Review: A Bloody Book by Chris Bowen

Post by leonard cavallaro »

I'm a big historical fiction buff though I prefer YA. Still, a pleasant review.
brooke oakes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brooke-oakes.html
Latest Review: The Intelligence Factor by Erik Fisher

Post by brooke oakes »

leonard cavallaro wrote: 26 Oct 2021, 01:28 I'm a big historical fiction buff though I prefer YA. Still, a pleasant review.
Thanks for taking the time to read and comment! I’m glad you enjoyed this!

Return to “Historical Fiction”