Review of Gaikokujin – The Story

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chiwelite O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwelite-o.html
Latest Review: The Water Bear by Groucho Jones

Review of Gaikokujin – The Story

Post by Chiwelite O »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Gaikokujin – The Story" by Takuan Amaru.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Every human has aims and pursuits, but as we grow, we tend to lose focus and follow whatever life offers. The difference in our perspective, race, and background doesn't determine who we are, but society, as they say, makes us who we are.

Gaikokujin - The Story is a book written by Takuan Amaru. The author, being the main character of the story, describes the life of a boy entrapped in societal segregation and youthful exuberance that affected and reflected on his identity as a black teenage Japanese. It comprises fourteen chapters that tell us how he grew up in McGuire Airforce's military base and how his mum got kicked out by her father for marrying an African. He continues the story by telling us how bigoted his society was regarding the discrimination between non-Caucasians and Caucasians. He tells us about his interest in basketball and how it helps him escape from his father's strict nature and mood swings, which made him run away from home many times. He tells us about his relationship with Rina and Asia and his life in high school from doing and selling drugs, theft, gangsterism, and other social vices. Would he eventually let this way of life go? Find out more about this fantastic story by reading the book!

This book has some positive aspects. This story is a fictional account of the author. I consider his youthful exuberance very didactic. Despite doing well academically in school, Tak engaged in drugs and some things he wasn't proud of. These affected his sense of judgment, and from the story, at some point, he felt irritated at who he was becoming. His reckless lifestyle differed from his focus and who he was; this character he portrayed can help youths and teenagers by giving them a guided path on their life's journey. Moreover, he lacked parental and moral support, especially from his father, who spent most of his time nagging and beating him up for his mistakes; this also contributed to his recklessness. Still on the positive aspects, this book was professionally edited as too many errors were not cited.

For the negative part of the book, It was hard finding this part of the book as I could find none. The book has some sex scenes, which I feel are unnecessary, although this isn't an actual problem because I think the author was trying to give us a vivid picture of his life in high school.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I didn't give this book a lower rating because it is an enjoyable one.

I recommend this book to those that love reading fictional high-school stories.

Gaikokujin – The Story
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Shivansh_007
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shivansh-007.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Shivansh_007 »

A great book with many small stories that are connected with each other. Will definitely look into it a bit more. Thanks for the review.
Review Writer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gideonwrites-review.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Review Writer »

This review is a good read. I thought I would definitely like this book to read. Because it seems to be self help book, and this type is one of my favorite books
Signature of Grace.
Neshboy Aburi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neshboy-aburi.html
Latest Review: Darksoul by L. Brooks

Post by Neshboy Aburi »

Thanks for your excellent review. I also like that this book talks about discrimination, drugs and other societal issues that young people go through while growing up.
Latest Review: Darksoul by L. Brooks
Julius J James
Currently Reading: Herculubus or Red Planet
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius-james-1.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Julius J James »

Charity begins at home. A child that does not feel loved by his family ends up with a bad character. i love the review.
Shilisia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shilisia.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Shilisia »

I like this book already because it really touches on life experiences that we can learn from now that times have changed. We can actually appreciate where we are now. Good job on this review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”