Review of Epicenter

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
J_odoyo
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-odoyo.html
Latest Review: Epicenter by Carrie Hannah

Review of Epicenter

Post by J_odoyo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Epicenter" by Carrie Hannah.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Epicenter by Carrie Hannah is a riveting story of love, courage, struggles, and triumph set in the world of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. It follows the stories of four women (Caitlyn, Liah, Marianna, and One Feather) who broke free from the chains of their anguish and toxic social restrictions, heading into the land of the unknown and unpredictable eventuality.

Caitlyn—a fifteen-year-old daughter of a senator—leaves their home in Hope Mills, North Carolina, in the wake of her father’s heinous behavior that rendered their family dysfunctional and unsafe for her living. Accompanied by her father’s black servant, Coltrain, the duo makes a forbidden pair, but they have to make their way to San Francisco, California. On the way, they are faced with racism hurdles, frequent attacks, and even financial problems. Their survival and love for one another mean a lot to them, and they are sometimes forced to leave trails of crime on their way to safety.

On the other hand, Liah—having been sold to an abusive early marriage—resolves to poison her husband and escapes from Zhanjiang, Guangdong province, South China. She has to dress herself up as a man (Mr. Lee), thank goodness for her masculine appearance. She has to flee from her trouble to as far as San Francisco—where she meets Marianna and One Feather (the only survivor of the Chimariko tribe who has nowhere to call home or anyone to trust). One Feather is a wandering medicine woman who lives in forests and caves. The paths of these four different women cross at Hotel D’Or in San Francisco. But there are still more battles to fight together, more hardships to wade through, more norms to defy, and more secrets to keep. Grab your copy and enjoy this riveting story.

Narrated from the third-person point of view, Epicenter takes you back to life in California after the Gold Rush period—the structure of the society and position of women in the community, those days. One of the features of this book I liked so much was its vivid description coupled with a flowing narration. A good example is on page two: “White, even teeth glinted as he smiled and a single dimple appeared on his left cheek, like one side of parentheses, framing his soft, full lips.”

While we can still witness racism today, a reader of this book appreciates the efforts of women's rights activists and the noble fight against racism. Author Hannah seamlessly describes the world of the 1800s and early 1900s—where a black man could be attacked by a white man but not allowed to defend himself, where domestic violence was a norm, where women were owned by their husbands and not allowed to own property, and the like. A world restricted by miscegenation laws and dominated by white superiority.

Lead characters in this book were well developed and relatable. Hannah provides backstories—making the story more gripping and enjoyable. The dialogues are also insightful and pragmatic. I can’t fail to mention the insightful and enjoyable poems and songs used in this book. At first, I didn’t like the actions of Caitlyn or Liah—of doing everything for their safety, including killing—but as the novel progressed, I came to understand their actions and their decisions. My favorite character was Liah. What a brave woman! I liked her golden heart, eagerness to learn, proactivity, and many more. Lizzet was my least-liked character; she was so selfish and ridiculously a terrible villain. The pages of this fast-paced novel exude many themes: Racism, misogyny, patriarchal system, household violence, and many more.

On the negative side, this book had a handful of grammatical and typographical errors. However, I would still say that the book was professionally edited. I also felt like the plot was rushed in some sections—leaving other characters underdeveloped. The author has superb narration skills; however, developing a good romance in a story is not her forte. For instance, all the romantic relationships between the characters, except for Caitlyn and Coltrain, were lacking in chemistry. I even felt like some of them were out of the blue. Potential readers should know that the book involves erotic content and curse words; therefore, it’s not a recommendable read for children.

Overall, Epicenter earns a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. I have knocked out one star due to the aforementioned negatives. With its downsides corrected, this book can easily earn a perfect rating. I recommend it to fans of historical fiction novels.

Epicenter
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
The more books you read the more choices you have
– Toni Morrison
Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chukwuebuka-ifedigbo.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo »

This review is thorough. Makes me eager to read this book, and I definitely will. Thanks for this.
Uchechukwu Okereke
Currently Reading: The Aftermath Of The King
Bookshelf Size: 42

Post by Uchechukwu Okereke »

This seems to present itself as a worthy read. I am excited to follow Caitlyn and Liah on their journey's through personal liberation in a time where females were basically slaves.
J_odoyo

Post by J_odoyo »

Ifedigbo_C wrote: 18 Nov 2021, 22:35 This review is thorough. Makes me eager to read this book, and I definitely will. Thanks for this.
Thanks for your kind commend. I'm glad that you're interested in reading it. It's an enjoyable read, indeed.
– Toni Morrison
J_odoyo

Post by J_odoyo »

Uchechukwu Okereke wrote: 18 Nov 2021, 23:32 This seems to present itself as a worthy read. I am excited to follow Caitlyn and Liah on their journey's through personal liberation in a time where females were basically slaves.
Thanks, @Uchechukwu Okereke. I hope you'll enjoy it, just as I did.
– Toni Morrison
addicted reader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-addicted-reader.html
Latest Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt

Post by addicted reader »

This book sounds emotional. Caitlyn, at only 15 years having to leave home because of her father's heinous behavior is quite unfortunate. I liked your review. You did a wonderful job by giving an insight into what the book is all about. Thank you.
Rishi_reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishi-reviews.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Rishi_reviews »

I always admire a historical fiction book if it's written correctly. I think these two are having a lot of trouble in this world and I found there's some suspense to the story as well. Very well written review.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I like that the main characters in the book are well developed and relatable. It is a pity that book is not better edited because typos and errors can often spoil the impression.
OTrain Disene
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flight Quack
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-otrain-disene.html
Latest Review: Mysteries by Graham Wilson

Post by OTrain Disene »

A book about a bunch of women who are brought together by a common struggle is what I would love to read. You did well.
OTrain Disene
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flight Quack
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-otrain-disene.html
Latest Review: Mysteries by Graham Wilson

Post by OTrain Disene »

A book about a bunch of women who are brought together by a common struggle is what I would love to read. You did well.
KafeliKe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kafelike.html
Latest Review: The Party Line by Dennis D. Gagnon

Post by KafeliKe »

Indeed this sounds like a book worthy to read. The cover is also appealing. I would like to read this book, and I'm adding it to the list of a must-read books.

Return to “Historical Fiction”