Review of Lady of the Play

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
TheMazeRunner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themazerunner.html
Latest Review: Lady of the Play by Deena Lindstedt

Review of Lady of the Play

Post by TheMazeRunner »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lady of the Play" by Deena Lindstedt.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There are speculations that the real Shakespeare was not Shakespeare. Some people say they are not sure if his name was William Shakespeare. What if Shakespeare was a lady? Elizabeth (Ely) Trentham is the second wife of Edward deVere, the Earl of Oxford. She has left traces behind her that Cynthia Parsons found 400 years later. She is convinced Ely and her loving husband Edward collaborated and created Shakespeare we know today.

Lady of the Play is a well-researched book, and I am sure Deena Lindstedt spent a lot of time making this masterpiece perfect. This book has two storylines, and the author mixed them beautifully. These two storylines are connected no matter they happened 400 years apart. What I like the most about this book is the writing style. The author kept it quite simple for such a sensitive theme. The character I love the most is Cynthia. She is brave, stubborn, and eager to find the traces Ely left behind. She faces people who want to shut her down and prevent her from revealing her discoveries. I thought this would be a regular historical book that tells stories I already heard before, but Deena Lindstedt proved me wrong.

There are twists in this book I certainly did not expect, and that made it even better. Since I know very little about Shakespeare and his works, Lady of the Play was an educational piece, too. I learned a lot about him, his plays, and his life. I also love the last few chapters of the book because that is where all the tension in the book is released. I have to admit there is nothing I dislike about it. I am happy that this book made a positive impact on me.

The editors did magnificent work since I found zero errors in this rich book. I noticed only light profane words throughout the text and no erotic scenes at all.

I am giving Lady of the Play 4 out of 4 stars. This book is written beautifully, has no errors, and I learned a lot from it. I highly recommend it to those who like Shakespeare and similar authors. Readers who love historical fiction will love this book, too. I think Lady of the Play may be a little bit complicated for the younger population, so I do not recommend it. Although this book spreads over 400 pages, it was a quick and light read.

Lady of the Play
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
kittykat6132
Currently Reading: TBD August 2022 Book of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kittykat6132.html
Latest Review: The Senator's Suitcase by Mitch Engel

Post by kittykat6132 »

I love a good conspiracy theory. This seems like an interesting read.
Lucy Vera
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucy-v.html
Latest Review: Letter of Paul to the Americans by Nicholas F Mazza

Post by Lucy Vera »

I love reading theories on certain issues. I would love to read this.
Moonchild9
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Moonchild9 »

Finding a strong fact on history about Shakespeare is really interesting,most people will consider it a conspiracy theory because it's against the conventional knowledge we have
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

You can always find a reason to make something be not as it seems. I tend to think that I am not being lied to. However, I can see how William Shakespeare could be someone else.
Wesusa
Favorite Book: Dune
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesusa.html
Latest Review: Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening by JD Schmith

Post by Wesusa »

I like that it focuses on a conspiracy theory, something I'm always very interested in. The allure of mystery seems to permeate this entire book, and I can't wait to check it out. Excellent review!
A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it.

The only person who can sympathize with and understand you, is you. So, be good to yourself.
Rwill0988
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 499
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rwill0988.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by Rwill0988 »

Really enjoy reading the historical perspectives of anti-Stratfordians (those who think that William Shakespeare was an actor who published works for someone else who couldn't publish themselves). I've read a couple theories and like to share them with my students. I don't see it as conspiracy. It would be the equivalent of a ghost writer or a nom de plume.

Thank you for your interesting review. I'm looking forward to checking this book out.
“Give me a man or woman who has read a thousand books and you give me an interesting companion. Give me a man or woman who has read perhaps three and you give me a very dangerous enemy indeed.” ~ The Witching Hour by Anne Rice
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I have never heard a conspiracy theory regarding Shakespeare. I think I should read this one. Thank you for the in-detail review.
Umesh Bhatt
Favorite Book: Identity And Violence
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-umesh-bhatt.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
2024 Reading Goal: 8
2024 Goal Completion: 25%

Post by Umesh Bhatt »

This seems to be an amusing story. The theme as evinced from the review appears complicated to me.
Thanks for the excellent review.
Knowledge is power but one has to be a bookworm! :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Historical Fiction”