Review of The Journey

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Review of The Journey

Post by Sou Hi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Journey" by Graham Williams.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Company of Stonemasons: The Journey by Graham Williams is the second part of the series, but you can read it as an independent book. The first part is The Company of Stonemasons: The Chichester Diamond. It is told by Edward, the eighteen-year-old son of the Llewelyn family. Together with his parents, his father's helper, his younger siblings, his dog, and a young man named Merlin, Edward would travel around England, earning money with stonemasonry.

After finishing repairing the Cathedral of Chichester, the stonemasons are ready to hit the road again. With wagons as their houses, they supply themselves with wild animals' meat and sleep surrounded by nature. Their lives should be peaceful and fulfilled. Yet, after seeing Merlin kissing a man, some strange feelings have been bothering Edward. At the same time, the lad finds himself falling for a girl, Claire. Will his love bloom? Will the discovery of the corpse of Claire's mother be a hindrance to their relationship? Can Edward be able to find the murderer and put everyone at ease?

While the plot is not exactly filled with action, the pace is fast. I like how it has enough tension to keep you on the edge of your seat. The characters' developments and the affections that the masons give each other are very realistic. For example, the way Edward struggles with his feelings is suitable for a teenager in love. Additionally, the whole group thinks of Merlin and their dog as members of the family, caring for them and taking care of them when they are hurt.

Unfortunately, it looks like the copy needs a second round of editing. I found over ten errors, and the missing or redundant commas make the sentences quite confusing. Another problem is the protagonist's love interest, the heroine whose presence can't even rival that of his company. Claire's role is so faint that if Edward doesn't think about her constantly, her existence won't be different from a common girl you can find anywhere. I think Edward's interactions with his companions, especially with his younger brother and Merlin, are much more emotional than his relationship with Claire. As a result, their romantic love is hollow and unreal.

Considering the mentioned negative issues, I would rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It shall be an interesting story for those who want a historical novel mixed with romance and mystery. The plot strongly supports the LGBTQ+ community. Still, the swear words and some violent scenes may be inappropriate for young readers.

The Journey
View: on Bookshelves
José Cortez
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jos-cortez.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Golden Door (Audiobook Version) by Ali Master

Post by José Cortez »

Poorly edited books makes it difficult to read. I hope the author would work on this aspect.
Hana_Fabro
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hana-fabro.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Hana_Fabro »

I want to know more about stonemasonry. The concept sounds great as well but the negative aspect you mentioned made me think twice if I'll add it on my shelf or not. Thanks for your wonderful review.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Wow, this one sounds like a fascinating story! I love books that include travels :) Thanks for your great review!
Paluk Pathania
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paluk-pathania.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Paluk Pathania »

I agree with you that too many editing errors can distract from a story's appeal, regardless of how intriguing the story is. Thanks for a lovely review!
katerina_12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katerina-12.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by katerina_12 »

I really like the storyline of this book. Great review!

Return to “Historical Fiction”