Review of Caspar: Last of the Magi

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gloria lee
Currently Reading: How to Live a Life of Hope
Bookshelf Size: 6

Re: Review of Caspar: Last of the Magi

Post by Gloria lee »

I like to know some things about historical figures, and I feel that I will gain something from them. Thank you for your careful comments.
Guda Lydia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guda-lydia.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Guda Lydia »

Historical fiction is not my kind of genre, but I can tell there's a lot in store fir Casper. Seems like an interesting novel. Congratulations on the BOTD.
lilianchikasi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilianchikasi.html
Latest Review: From A Whore to a Whousewife by Felicia Cobbs

Post by lilianchikasi »

I am a huge fan of historical fiction. This is a very captivating review. I don't know much about Cleopatra but this book gave an interesting explanation. Well deserved.
Mojolaoluwa Idowu
Favorite Book: Trials of Apollo Book Three
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mojolaoluwa-idowu.html
Latest Review: Voice Of a Mummy by Kay A. Oliver

Post by Mojolaoluwa Idowu »

This seems interesting and the book was well reviewed. I also don't know much about Cleopatra but from the review I read it makes the book seem real and I can see myself reading and enjoying this book as well as recommending it to others.
Cocobutta
Currently Reading: Hidden Current
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cocobutta.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Cocobutta »

I have read several historical books but never anything about Cleopatra. Your well written review has definitely drawn my attention to this book. Casper also sounds like a very interesting character. From your review, it seems like the author did not just focus on fiction but did extensive research on the Roman Empire and the Legend of Cleopatra which is really nice. I think I will definitely read this book. Thank you.
Zaynnie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zaynnie.html
Latest Review: The Weed Lady by Shea R Embry

Post by Zaynnie »

I love historical fiction but I don't know much about the legendary Cleopatra. I also like the fact that this book has illustrative diagrams and pictures. I'm sure I would enjoy reading it. Thanks for the great review
Obinna Chima Agoms
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bibliophile-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Why Rock The Boat When You Don't Know How To Swim? by Daniel Sebata

Post by Obinna Chima Agoms »

Oh wow! This book is about the legendary Cleopatra? I'm definitely reading it. I know I'm going to enjoy it.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3040
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I am an ardent reader of historical fiction and the book sounds to not only hold much information but is also captivating. Thanks for the informative review. I am adding the book to my shelf. It would be great to learn about these legends, especially Cleopatra.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Damian Keyes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damian-keyes.html
Latest Review: Last Minute Wedding Date by Anthony george
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 23%

Post by Damian Keyes »

I'm into historical fiction books, especially this one because it incorporates one of my favorite past periods - the Roman Empire. I have to get this book and follow Caspar's journey. Congrats on being BOTD!
B Sheila Holt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: One Christmas Eve
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b-sheila-holt.html
Latest Review: Open Heart by Akil Taher

Post by B Sheila Holt »

Thank you for a wonderfully delivered review. You have given us the high points without giving away the story itself. Great job!!
I enjoyed reading from the sample pages given.
Wamala Elijah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wamala-elijah.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Wamala Elijah »

I love authentic books, from the example and audit, this imaginary novel gives off an impression of being my verifiable cup of tea. I like the way that it incorporates maps, representations, as well as a rundown of the significant characters. I view that as exceptionally accommodating.
Ochieng Omuodo
Currently Reading: The Intrepid Brotherhood
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ochieng-omuodo.html
Latest Review: Endgame by William Reed

Post by Ochieng Omuodo »

This would not be my first time either in reading about Cleopatra. Usually, though, she is shown in the context of her incorporation into the RomanEmpire other than an entity in herself and Egypt’s own identity. So I cling onto your comments about the author’s detailed writing about people and events and that side of Cleopatra not seen before.
Gabriella H
Currently Reading: A Man Who Would Be King
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella-h.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Gabriella H »

This seems like an interesting historical novel. I'd like some insight into the people and events it deals with, like Cleopatra, Augustus Caesar, Octavius, King Herod, the appearance of the star heralding the birth of a king like no other, etc. I think it might be nice to read about these things. Thanks for the informative review!
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by dragonet07 »

I love historical fiction, and Cleopatra is always a fascinating person to incorporate into these kinds of stories. It will be interesting to see how historically accurate the story is while also putting the author’s own creative twist on things. No matter the subgenre or time period, I like for my historical fiction to have a good balance of taking creative license and being historically accurate. Thank you for the helpful review.
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
Dent Odhiambo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dent-odhiambo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Dent Odhiambo »

:tiphat: I enjoy historical books. Being able to read and understand past events including their culture is always refreshing. The review gives a better understanding of what to expect. Good review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”