Review of Caspar: Last of the Magi

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Review of Caspar: Last of the Magi

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Caspar: Last of the Magi" by Fred Fraikor.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Caspar: Last of the Magi by Fred Fraikor is a book rich in the historical events of the Roman Empire and the rise and fall of Cleopatra. So much has been said concerning these people and their empires. However, this book puts it together in a grand tale that brings many things to light.

In this story, Caspar wasn't sure what the future held for him. But the invitation to see the queen proved to be a huge turning point for him. With a new status and accompanied by a beautiful and witty scribe, the world opened up to him. Being in service of one political leader to another, he was exposed to many hazards. He also enjoyed access to authority, wealth, and influence. The decisions he had to make and the steps he had to take could mean his rise or downfall or even his death. Though he had a kind heart and was faithful in service, he was dealing with people who were more or less using him as a pawn. Caught between the devil and the blue sea, he had to be wise and cautious. Where would the roles he had to play lead him?

This would not be my first time reading about the legendary Cleopatra. However, this book showed me a side to her that I hadn't seen before. It also shed light on the Roman Empire, Caesar Augustus, King Herod, Octavius, Agrippa, the Magi from the East, the shining star that heralded the birth of a king like no other, amongst several other legends and popular historical events. The author was detailed in writing about these people and the events such that there were many pieces of information packed into a less-than-300-pages book.

Caspar: Last of the Magi was an exciting book. I could say now that I have a better understanding of who Cleopatra was, what she did, how the Roman empire was run in the reign of Caesar Augustus. I particularly loved how the author explained certain places and people at the end of the book, with very illustrative diagrams and pictures. Even someone with a total lack of interest in history will come away with a healthy dose of it. I also loved the historical text that opened each chapter of the book, making it evident that it was not only a tall tale of fiction. The maps were also helpful in understanding the connection between places. Finally, the romantic aspect was moderately done.

I didn't find anything not to like about the book. The story was exciting, the characters were real, and I gained many historical insights. Though there were a few errors, I'd say the editing was well done. I’d, therefore, rate Caspar: Last of the Magi 4 out of 4 stars. I'd recommend it to history lovers, historical fiction fans, romantics, and adventure lovers.

Caspar: Last of the Magi
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
José Cortez
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jos-cortez.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Golden Door (Audiobook Version) by Ali Master

Post by José Cortez »

I wonder what Casper's future held for him. Thank you for this fantastic review.
Sarah Sonbol
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

This sounds like an interesting historical fiction. However, I should point out that although I find historical fictions appealing, not all what is narrated is completely true. The imagination of the author contributes greatly as well. Thanks for the nice review.
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
Steinkar
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steinkar.html
Latest Review: Quando Dormo by Edward Izzi

Post by Steinkar »

I agree with Sarah, and that's what I like about historical fiction. I always wonder about the "backstory" of prominent historical characters and love when authors do their homework and create great stories based on it. Nice review!
Sammy Kamau 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sammy-kamau-2.html
Latest Review: Radioland by m.e. Elzey

Post by Sammy Kamau 2 »

" I particularly loved how the author explained certain places and people at the end of the book, with very illustrative diagrams and pictures."...This makes the book unique, and my interests have been piqued
Ilze Herholdt
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Salt of the Earth
Currently Reading: It Strikes Again
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ilze-herholdt.html
Latest Review: Healing Wounds of the Soul by Elizabeth Campos

Post by Ilze Herholdt »

This book is a much educational book. The readers can learn a lot from the Roman Empire and all its historical characters. The situations Caspar face surely will keep the reader's attention.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Why in the World Are We Here?
Bookshelf Size: 2400
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Caught between the devil and the blue sea, he had to be wise and cautious. Where would the roles he had to play lead him?
That's one strong sentence. You totally captured my attention. Like you, I've read a lot about Cleopatra and her historical era, but I'm always looking to further my historical knowledge, and I don't complain if there's a little romance involved.
Thank you!
Pandora10
Favorite Book: Remembering Christmas
Currently Reading: The Road to Management
Bookshelf Size: 116

Post by Pandora10 »

From the sample and review, this fictional novel, which begins in 32 BC as Caspar is summoned into the presence of Cleopatra, appears to have been thoughtfully put together. I like the fact that it includes maps, illustrations, as well as a list of the important characters. I find that very helpful in a novel such as this.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an interesting captivating historical fiction thriller highlighting a rich in the historical events of the Roman Empire and the rise and fall of Cleopatra. The book has a free sample on Amazon Kindle and has a well-written OnlineBookClub review. Congrats on the BOTD.
Gabriela Contreras
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriela-contreras.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Gabriela Contreras »

I am a fan of historical books, from the sample and review, this fictional novel appears to be exactly my historical cup of tea. I like the fact that it includes maps, illustrations, as well as a list of the important characters. I find that very helpful.
Judy46
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy46.html
Latest Review: The First Time Father by Alfie Thomas

Post by Judy46 »

A very interesting review. The legend of Cleopatra is a story I'm always willing to listen to or read about anytime.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 757
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Life at the Precipice by R.F. Vincent

Post by Bertha Jackson »

An interesting historical fiction that pulls together the stories about Cleopatra by a talented author who has done his homework to fully develop the story. Thank you for your review.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Joyce Nwaogazie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyce-nwaogazie.html
Latest Review: We Stand Here as A millionaire by Joan Gross

Post by Joyce Nwaogazie »

The legend of Cleopatra story is always an interesting and engaging read, you did a good job in your review.
Joy Mwangi 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-mwangi-2.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Joy Mwangi 2 »

The first time I heard of Cleopatra and the Roman empire was during a live play when I joined college but through the reviewers incite am now going to learn whether the play was realistic and I also think I would enjoy reading this book.
Simmons32
Currently Reading: Cengage Advantage Books
Bookshelf Size: 673
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simmons32.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Simmons32 »

This could be an interesting book for me. I really enjoy historical novels, and I can’t say I know much about Cleopatra. I might give this one a try. Thanks for the detailed review. Have

Return to “Historical Fiction”