Review of As Good As Can Be

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lucy Vera
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucy-v.html
Latest Review: Letter of Paul to the Americans by Nicholas F Mazza

Review of As Good As Can Be

Post by Lucy Vera »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "As Good As Can Be" by William A. Glass.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

As Good As Can Be is a fantastic book written by William A. Glass. It tells the story of a family, the Knight's family. The story focuses mainly on Dave, the family's second-born and first son, who appears to be restless. He has had certain learning impairments since childhood. This made him to be labeled as the "problem child."

Dave's father, Knight, is a lieutenant colonel who frequently travels from one country to another. His wife, Bobbie, was charged with killing a man in a car accident while driving in Iran. As a problem child, Dave frequently confronts his oldest sister, Melissa, who constantly disturbs him. Their father is known for mediating fights among his children whenever he returns home and finds them fighting. However, Knight was more concerned with his work and status than his children's well-being. Would he be able to raise the family? How did Dave manage his disability? Read this fantastic book to learn more about their story.

In terms of the positive aspects, there are numerous morals to be learned from this novel. Despite his learning impairments and the fact that, unlike Melissa, he was unable to obtain a college diploma, Dave never gave up on himself; despite the odds, he worked hard. This serves as a form of encouragement to people with similar impairments. Also, I liked how Knight's job enabled them to travel across the world and have new experiences. The author did an amazing job narrating each travel to make it feel like I was traveling with him. In addition, this book was professionally edited; I spotted just one error in this book.

On the negative side of the book, it is pretty extensive. It contains far too much detail that I believe is superfluous and could bore readers, particularly in the case of Dave's redeployment to Korea. Also, the novel's ending was unsatisfactory because it wasn't mentioned whether Dave would return to the Army or not. The author left a lot of important pieces of information out. Also, I felt the characters were not adequately developed.

I give this book a 3 out of 4 stars rating because, despite its flaws, I had an amazing time reading it. However, I could not give it a higher rating because it passed a lot of lessons to the reader. The author did an amazing job with this book. Nevertheless, these negative aspects could be worked on.

I recommend this book to lovers of stories about traveling. Anyone who enjoys reading books on family development would have an amazing time reading this book. All in all, I would commend the author for this amazing book.

As Good As Can Be
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ghuddie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ghuddie.html
Latest Review: Better Angels Lesley Gore Dusty Springfield by Linden Lelievre

Post by Ghuddie »

Dave's story sounds really interesting. It'll interest anyone that loves to read about family. Great review.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Resilience, we love to see it. We could persevere even through any disability. Thanks for the review
Apple 7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-apple-7.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Apple 7 »

Having a disability is not an excuse not to live life on your own terms, very encouraging piece....nice review
Asiaa Szn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asiaa-szn.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Asiaa Szn »

This is a relatable book and I'll love to read this. Great review.
Oyedele Tomijane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cleverspider001.html

Post by Oyedele Tomijane »

Children with learning disabilities tend to be inappropriately named "problem children." However, I do understand how burdensome taking care of such children is on their parents. Thanks for such a lovely review.
beauri21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beauri21.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by beauri21 »

Dave's story is quite relatable. This book teaches the importance of perseverance. Adding this book to my shelf. Your review is nicely done, kudos.
José Cortez
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jos-cortez.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Golden Door (Audiobook Version) by Ali Master

Post by José Cortez »

This seems like a book with so many morals. The author seems to have done well to pass them along to the reader.
Darlings O
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darlington-onuoha.html
Latest Review: Imperfect Lives Perfect Grace by Dr. E.M. Johnson

Post by Darlings O »

I would love go know how Dave was anle to cope with his disability. Great review.
Walter R
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-walter-r.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Walter R »

Knights family seems intriguing. Where did the name come from? Is he a knight? I'm just curious.
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kennedy NC »

I'm glad Dave was able to still obtain a college degree even with his disability. I'm impressed by his tenacity.
Ekezie1998
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekezie1998.html
Latest Review: life lessons of wayne by shawn wayne swearingen

Post by Ekezie1998 »

I don’t think it is a good thing to label a children as the problem child. It could have a negative effect on the child
Nwadinso Michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwadinso-michael.html
Latest Review: Mon Cheri by Spare Time Novels

Post by Nwadinso Michael »

This book tells the story of a knight family. It focuses on the first son, Dave , and his ordeals. He is quite restless and if he is not kept in check there might be issues. The author did a good job of narrating this story in an amazing way. Thanks for your review.
God is a Poet and he taught me how to hold my pen.
Chijindu Ifedigbo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chijindu-ifedigbo.html

Post by Chijindu Ifedigbo »

Children with disabilities need to be given special attention and stimatization against them need to be stopped in the society. Calling Dave a "problem child" can actually make him to take his life though suicide.

Return to “Historical Fiction”