Review of The Many Crimes of Walter Cleary

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ekezie1998
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekezie1998.html
Latest Review: life lessons of wayne by shawn wayne swearingen

Review of The Many Crimes of Walter Cleary

Post by Ekezie1998 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Many Crimes of Walter Cleary" by B. H. Godfrey.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Many Crimes of Walter Cleary by B.H. Godfrey is an intriguing book that centers on the life of Walter Cleary, who, clouded by anger, becomes a fugitive and is torn between the choice of family or fleeing. One comes at the cost of death, and one comes with freedom but brings loneliness with it. Which does he choose? Crimes occasionally summon Walter’s name wherever he goes, unmoved by the trauma, guilt, and regret he would feel after it. As a runner with another identity, Walter encounters ordeals of the mine explosion, horrible conditions of coal mining, and wartime. However, will he find solace in love, friendship, and family? I implore you to read this book to learn how the story unfolds.

The Many Crimes of Walter Cleary is an informing and educative book, as factual events were talked about, one of them being the portrayal and insight into the dire conditions of coal mining in the past, the efforts and determination of miners, and several other significant issues. I must appreciate the author for giving an account of the events in order of time.

Many other positive aspects come with reading this book. One such positive aspect would be the knowledge of appreciating the bond and connection in a family, as well as the beauty of being loved. The importance of family is portrayed in every chapter. The loyalty and trust that strengthen people even in their absence are found in this book. You will also see how the warmth and comfort from one’s family make tough times bearable. The deep sense of responsibility in a home and the fulfillment of those duties by each member were illustrated.

I especially resonated with the emotions that sprung from the family singing together in adversities, which added to one of the book's charms. Furthermore, this book enables us to reflect deeply on what anger ruins and how worsened the situation becomes because of it. The reader is also forced to ponder on the guilt and regret that engulf us when we commit crimes and how our conscience can be greatly troubled. We also see the mental aftermaths of an offense being explained in the book, such as breakdown and depression. These make crimes appear terrible and unattractive, which would help every person to abscond from them.

Lastly, this book reflects significantly on the virtue of empathy and its many rewards. It clarifies that helping hands always win, encouraging us to aid and assist others wherever we find ourselves. Regardless of all these positive aspects, the editing was not professional, as there were too many errors to count. However, this does not hinder the thrill of the book. I rate this book three out of four stars instead of a perfect rating because of its poor editing. It did not get a lower rating because it was still an entertaining read. I recommend this book to all persons who love historical fiction, especially lovers of stories bordering on adventure, friendship, and family.

The Many Crimes of Walter Cleary
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Mary Lou Mills
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading: The Buffalo Soldier
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-lou-mills.html
Latest Review: Permaculture for the Absolute Beginner by Dawn Raynes
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 8%

Post by Mary Lou Mills »

Thank you for your review. I'm glad to see the emphasis that crime does not pay.
Adaeze Joan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adaeze-joan.html
Latest Review: Of Roses & Storms by Sara Omar

Post by Adaeze Joan »

Anger is a very bad temperament, it can lead someone into doing unspeakable things, and Walter wasn't exempted. I believe this book has a lot of lessons and knowledge to share. I would definitely be reading this. Thanks for your insightful review.
Apple 7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-apple-7.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Apple 7 »

Family always gives an unrestricted and solidified sense of redemption, renewal, acceptance and strength...hope that will contribute positively to whatever choice clearly takes....would love to read and enjoy this piece..... very nice review
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Great plot. I'm eager to see what Walter eventually chose and how he dealt with the consequences. Great review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”