Review of Zebra.

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alexander C Schmoock
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexander-c-schmoock.html
Latest Review: Survived, evolved against all the odds by Ruth Mantile

Review of Zebra.

Post by Alexander C Schmoock »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Zebra." by Jill Wallace.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Social stratification is a disease that has eaten deep into the fabrics of African societies; this has given rise to anger, hatred, rancor, envy, terrorism, and war. In Zebra, Jill Wallace told the story of two young boys who had fallen in love as brothers. They were of different races, but each held the other in high esteem. They became so close that one probably wouldn't live without the other.

They were widely given the title 'Zebra' because they represented two intertwined races. They enjoyed each other's company and lived so happily. Jock was of the white race, and Papin was of the black race; they welcomed each other, and their differences never mattered. They became so close that rites were performed to make them Zulu brothers officially. However, the society, through stratification, abusive words, accusations, broad daylight murders, and deprivation of human rights, put a clog in the wheel of this beautiful friendship. Hatred and bitterness became the new norm.

The book has a lot of positive points. The book is captivating and intriguing; it is suspenseful; it triggers the reader's curiosity to know what transpired at the end of the story. The story is very much relatable to things happening in today's society. There are lots of lessons to pick from the book. It can serve as a guide to put a stop to hatred and terrorisms all over the globe. It will motivate people of all races to put aside their differences and embrace one humanity. Although the book contains foreign languages, they are well explained at the end of the book. The book is simple and straight to the point. The dates included in the book will help the reader understand the time the events took place. It has a good plot, and the story is a great experience. I love that most of the characters in the story are well developed.

I found nothing negative about the book. Everything was there to enjoy. I had a great time reading the book. The author excellently showcased his storytelling skills in the book, and it was beautiful to see.

The book was professionally edited. I found an error in it, but that couldn't take anything away from how much I still enjoyed the story. Consequently, I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. I didn't deduct a star because the book was a wholesome experience.

I recommend the book to activists, politicians, and counselors. Also, lovers of history will find a lot of the historical facts contained in the book interesting.

Zebra.
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
QualityAndQuantity
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qualityandquantity.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by QualityAndQuantity »

I really like the plot of this book. It's not everyday that you come across a book so wholesome year devastating. I think I'll try to get my hands on it. Great review.
Aisha Yakub
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

So sad to see this beautiful friendship get destroyed. I do hope it was temporarily. Great review
Zandile sitonga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Zandile sitonga »

Its really depressing that the friendship got destroyed and great plot. Great review
Avishi
Currently Reading: all body bags and no knickers
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avishi.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade
Reading Device: Pdf

Post by Avishi »

It's really appreciated to write story in new plot but with a strong background message. The title also perfectly matched the storyline. It is must read book.
ChampagneSon
Currently Reading: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit?
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-champagneson.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by ChampagneSon »

This is a must-read, I find the plot really interesting. love the message the book expresses. Great review
Umesh Bhatt
Favorite Book: Identity And Violence
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-umesh-bhatt.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
2024 Reading Goal: 8
2024 Goal Completion: 25%

Post by Umesh Bhatt »

After reading the review I found that the title of the book is very well chosen by the author. The review has generated interest for reading the book. Thanks for the nice review.
Knowledge is power but one has to be a bookworm! :techie-studyingbrown:
Asiaa Szn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asiaa-szn.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Asiaa Szn »

The plot is amazing. I like how the author used the title to give insight into the book. Nice work.
Amiczy Heaven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amiczy-heaven.html
Latest Review: Living the Beatitudes by Gary L. Engstrom

Post by Amiczy Heaven »

I wish they remained cool. I was really liking the friendship, the rift was unexpected. I hope they were able to patch things up though. Nice review.
Janelydia Mwangi
Currently Reading: Bugs, Weeds, and Water
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelydia-mwangi.html
Latest Review: Surviving Life As An Actor by Jerry a. Greenberg
Reading Device: Android

Post by Janelydia Mwangi »

A solution to racism that has haunted us since industrial revolution in Europe that led to colonization of Africa. The symbolic title 'Zebra' is used wisely. It brings out imagination that is still real the white for Jock and the black stripe for Papin. The colors just like on the zebra bring out their friendship full of love but the society in South Africa cannot causing later hatred. These are the effects of apartheid that have been illustrated.
It's educative and tries to stop the menace in our modern society.
Salma nadia
Currently Reading: TBD August 2022 Book of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Salma nadia »

this is very interesting to read. a book that tells the friendship of 2 children of different races. But why must it be destroyed, hopefully it's only temporary
Sarah Sonbol
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

I think it's worth reading. However, it's saddening to find that racism destroyed a beautiful friendship. Thanks for the nice review.lll
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
Ronnie Comendador 1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ronnie Comendador 1 »

The title zebra perfectly matched to the storyline that racism destroyed the good friendships..very interesting story..nice review!
Nwadinso Michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwadinso-michael.html
Latest Review: Mon Cheri by Spare Time Novels

Post by Nwadinso Michael »

Zebra tells the tale of the relationship between two brothers. The book delves into the African culture and the intimacy between the two friends although at some point, the relationship is altered. This book is interesting. Good review.
God is a Poet and he taught me how to hold my pen.
Mbenma Esther 080
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbenma-esther-080.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mbenma Esther 080 »

I understand history better when told in fictional books. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”