Review of Orlando in the Cities

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ebenezer Madenyika 1
Currently Reading: My Sister Wants an Elephant
Bookshelf Size: 10

Re: Review of Orlando in the Cities

Post by Ebenezer Madenyika 1 »

Orlando in The Cities by Sebastian Michael seems like an intriguing book as it centers around time tavel and meeting of historical figures throughout time.Congratulations to today's BOTD.
Wayne Njoroge
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Dark Web Murders
Currently Reading: Bloody Redemption
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wayne-njoroge.html
Latest Review: Because He Loved Us by Sharon Williams

Post by Wayne Njoroge »

An interesting read on philosophy and human nature in this historical fiction novel.
MsChet Cherry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mschet-cherry.html
Latest Review: Snippets from a Twisted Mind by Sean O’Banion

Post by MsChet Cherry »

Orlando must be a super human to have lived before 320 BCE and after 1789.
The book's make-up sounds quite fascinating. I'll give it a try.
Beautiful review! Congrats on the BOTD.
Sophia Damilola Ajayi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophia-d-ajayi.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Sophia Damilola Ajayi »

I enjoyed the book for its literary tribute to the pivotal moments that influenced our past and the notable individuals who played crucial roles in shaping our present-day human society.
mrlefty0706
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: What If They Knew
Currently Reading: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 61%

Post by mrlefty0706 »

"Orlando in the Cities" by Sebastian Michael takes place in different historic time periods. The main character is named Orlando, a mere mortal, and he was on a quest to visit the cities that the Gods of Mount Olympus had laid claim to their own greatest patron cities. Orlando's goal was to determine which cities were best. The writing style changes based on the location to reflect 320 BCE ancient Greece and when in France it is written like 1789. The story philosophizes on human nature and the main character may be real or a figment of the author’s imagination. One really needs to read the book to understand and enjoy Orlando’s travels. This is a well written book and a very good review.
mrlefty0706
In It Together VIP

Post by mrlefty0706 »

"Orlando in the Cities" by Sebastian Michael takes place in different historic time periods. The main character is named Orlando, a mere mortal, and he was on a quest to visit the cities that the Gods of Mount Olympus had laid claim to their own greatest patron cities. Orlando's goal was to determine which cities were best. The writing style changes based on the location to reflect 320 BCE ancient Greece and when in France it is written like 1789. The story philosophizes on human nature and the main character may be real or a figment of the author’s imagination. One really needs to read the book to understand and enjoy Orlando’s travels. This is a well written book and a very good review.
mrlefty0706
In It Together VIP

Post by mrlefty0706 »

mrlefty0706
In It Together VIP

Post by mrlefty0706 »

Kendal Low
Currently Reading: As Good As Dead
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendal-low.html
Latest Review: Deep Blue Saloon by Thomas Courtney Click

Post by Kendal Low »

While Orlando’s story does sound somewhat interesting, I find that I don’t often enjoy historical novels, so I don’t think I’ll be giving this book a try. Great review!
SophiaNd
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophiand.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior by Antoine Bonner

Post by SophiaNd »

The first paragraph of this review got me interested but reading further down to other paragraph, I got lost in trying to piece everything together. Now, I don't know how I feel about the book, but will love to give it a try.
Congratulations on BOTD.
Uche Active
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uche-active.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Uche Active »

This book seems like a historical fiction and I will be glad to read some histories from this book. The book also has an interesting plot and an intriguing cover page. Congratulations to the author on winning book of the day
Ann Kidiavai
Currently Reading: Folder or Crumpler
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ann-kidiavai.html
Latest Review: From Burnout to Belonging by Kimberly Carozzi

Post by Ann Kidiavai »

The reviewer has literally sold the book to me with this detailed review. I'm not a historical enthusiast, but I'll read this book just to have a taste of a variety of narrative styles balanced in one masterpiece. I'll also love to read about Orlando's uniqueness.!
Atieno Magero
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atieno-magero.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Atieno Magero »

I like that this book has time travel and history. I like that the author wrote in styles that are based on the places Orlando travels to. This book has a great storyline and I would like to read it to know more about Orlando's travels and what he learns. Congratulations on making book of the day!
Precious Dubazana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Precious Dubazana »

The book sounds like a great creation of history, I would love to check it out. Thank you for the great review.
Huini Hellen
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Conversing with Various Entities
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-huini-hellen.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Huini Hellen »

I like the fact that this book has several elements of intertextuality. The variety in the narration will maintain my interest all through the book. Thanks for the review.
The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting. The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way. - Marcus Aurelius

Return to “Historical Fiction”