Review of The Flight of Starlings

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 984
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Review of The Flight of Starlings

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Flight of Starlings" by P.D. Russell-Ranson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There is a common saying stating that the greatest love stories are most often ill-fated. The tale of Abelard and Heloise perfectly personifies this epithet. In my opinion, they were the real-life Romeo and Juliet. Both of them were well-known personalities in the 12th century. Their wisdom was renowned throughout France. However, love changed their lives unexpectedly. Their tale of romance and greatness is known to people even today.

P.D. Russell-Ranson pens a fictional account of Abelard and Heloise's lives in her The Flight of Starlings. The story is told from the perspective of a fictional character, Adele. Adele was only fifteen when she arrived at the Paraclete to be Heloise's assistant. Proficient in Greek and Latin, Adele wished to pursue the path of knowledge under the tutelage of Abbess Heloise. She was purported to be the most learned woman in Christendom. To Adele's great dismay, Heloise did not match up to her great expectations in their first meeting. Moreover, a sister named Dorothea had taken an abnormal interest in her. After only a day, she wanted nothing more than to return home. Now, it was up to Adele to decide whether she would stay and peruse the halls of knowledge and wisdom or leave to live a mundane life.

Though a fictional story, The Flight of Starlings made me feel like a part of Heloise and Adele's life. I felt like I was experiencing the highs of passion and the lows of heartbreak along with Heloise. Most of our historical accounts give us a dry representation of Abelard and Heloise with the focus always being on Abelard. Russell-Ranson brings to us the story primarily from Heloise's point of view as Adele was Heloise's assistant. Heloise always did what Abelard wanted even if she was not in agreement with his decision. She devoted her life to Abelard. Even when Abelard broke her heart, she loved him unconditionally. She always worked in his best interests. In my opinion, she was his equal in every way. Heloise created a unique sanctuary of women in the Paraclete. In her domain, the pursuit of love and knowledge was encouraged. She was smart enough to keep this under the wraps and present to the world a pious persona acceptable to the Church.

Russell-Ransan portrays the gradual repression of free speech and logical thinking by the Church. The changes in religious ceremonies and practices are aptly portrayed. She depicts how gender discrimination and religious fanaticism grew in a fluid and understandable language.

My favorite parts of the book were when Heloise discussed pagan philosophy with Adele or Abelard. Writings of Plato, Aristotle, and Marcus Aurelius are explained in an engaging manner. It made me want to read the original texts once more. Russell-Ranson also ignited in me an interest in Abelard's works. Abelard's attempts in explaining the logical reasoning behind the Holy Trinity truly intrigued me.

There are multiple time-jumps in the book. I feel this may be a tad confusing for some readers. Also, I found a number of errors. If not for these errors, this book would have deserved a perfect rating.

Keeping in mind the pros and cons, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. Books like this make me realize why I have a special place in my heart for historical novels. This is a perfect read for fans of history, romance, and philosophy. Anyone who has a special interest in Heloise and Abelard must give this book a try.

The Flight of Starlings
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Pauls_
Currently Reading: A Dagger In The Heart
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul.html
Latest Review: Recognizing Beauty by Cyndi Burrough

Post by Pauls_ »

Historical fictions are a sure read for me. I love every part of the review. Thank you.
Mbenma Esther 080
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbenma-esther-080.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mbenma Esther 080 »

This is an intriguing book to read. The things mentioned about what is liked about the book are such nice ones. Thanks for the review.
Nwankwo GC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwankwo-gc.html
Latest Review: The Chosen by Brandy Marks

Post by Nwankwo GC »

I'd love to know the option Adele went with. The former seems like the prefect one but I will find out from the pages of the book. Great review.
Blessing Odii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-odii.html
Latest Review: The Proximity of Stars by Benedict Stuart

Post by Blessing Odii »

Sound like the kind of romance novel that interest me.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

This seems like a great story. I feel the author made a conscious effort to connect with readers. Interesting review.
Ajay Rudrapati
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajay-rudrapati.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Ajay Rudrapati »

I am very much awaited to read this book, Your review motivated me to read this book ASAP. The way you inculcated the details of the book in a very clear manner is impressive. Thank you

Return to “Historical Fiction”