Review of Star Bright

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Michael Jerry_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michaeljerry309.html
Latest Review: A Big Blue Boat by Susea Spray

Review of Star Bright

Post by Michael Jerry_ »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Star Bright" by A. F. Carcirieri, Jr.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Star Bright is an interesting historical fiction novel with a lot of references to the planet Venus. This book is the first novel by A. F. Carcirieri, Jr. During his career, he wrote various articles that helped revive his passion for history. This passion for history is what compelled him to write this book. The author, who currently lives in Maine, got his bachelor of arts degree from Loyola University and also served in the United States Marine Corps.

This book is less like a conventional novel and more like a compilation of stories that all have things in common. The first chapter is about Lucifer’s rebellion against God, and the second chapter is about the river girl called Shay Op Ta. Each chapter tells a different story. However, the planet Venus and the goddess Venus are common in all the stories. In some stories, the author would resort to other names that identify the goddess Venus. For example, in the second chapter, Shay Op Ta refers to her as goddess Inanna, but in the third chapter, Adolphone refers to her as goddess Aphrodite. Each chapter is a different story from a different time in history that highlights the influence that planet Venus has over mankind. In this book, you will meet a wide variety of characters, including famous ones like Napoleon Bonaparte and less famous ones like Chronikulos.

I enjoyed reading the various chapters and getting to experience the diversity of time and society across all the stories and characters. This book was wonderful because the author wrote straightforwardly, and the characters were dynamic. The imagery was spot on, and the author did a great job holding my attention. I like that each chapter was a fresh story with its conflict, climax, and resolution. I also liked how the actions of characters in one story could affect characters in another story. This made the book feel coherent. A good example is when Shay Op Ta buried something that was uncovered thousands of years later in a different chapter of the book with a new set of characters from another country.

My biggest issue with this book was the length. I felt like it could have been shorter or broken down into more than one book. I also thought it was weird that one particular chapter (chapter 11) was 346 pages. Chapter 11 was almost half of the entire book. These affected my reading experience but not enough to make me remove a star from the rating.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because my reading experience was unique. I learned a lot about history while also enjoying a beautiful adventure through time. Not only that, but I also believe that this book received exceptional editing from a professional. I recommend this book to people over the age of 16 who are interested in historical fiction novels. Also, people who are interested in the French Revolution and the goddess Venus will enjoy reading this book.

Star Bright
View: on Bookshelves
TheGayOne12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thegayone12.html
Latest Review: Tarja Titan by TC Marti

Post by TheGayOne12 »

I love reading about dynamic character. The whole books sounds very interesting to me. Fabulous review!
Essy Nma
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essy-nma.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Essy Nma »

Reading history widens my horizon because it enables me to contribute to discussions around that topic. Thanks for the review.
Mildred Echesa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mildred-echesa.html
Latest Review: Catch A Raven by Kirro Burrows

Post by Mildred Echesa »

I am not interested uh n historical fiction, so I will pass on reading this one.
Poetic Justice
Precious Amarachi Nzeakor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-amarachi-nzeakor.html
Latest Review: I'll Always Be With You by Violetta Armour

Post by Precious Amarachi Nzeakor »

I love learning the history of certain concepts from novels. It is so refreshing. Wonderful review.
Gifty_biblophile
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gifty-biblophile.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Gifty_biblophile »

This is a beautiful and well written review, but I’ll pass because I’m not so Kin into historical fiction novels and it’s also lengthy. Thanks
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

I'm shocked to see that a chapter was about 446 pages. I'll pass on this one. Great review.
Mmaduabuchi Eze
Favorite Book: The Maestro Monologue
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmaduabuchi-eze.html

Post by Mmaduabuchi Eze »

I am interested in the aspect of the French Revolution discussed in the book. This review is really insightful.
Evelyn Bioseh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evelyn-bioseh.html

Post by Evelyn Bioseh »

A historical fiction filled with fantasy and sci fi themes. This book seems like it would be a unique and captivating read. Thanks for the review
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Congrats on BOTD. A book that has almost 1000 pages, with similarly length chapters, seriously is a huge challenge for me.
Kavita Shah
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

This one's a unique story collection with planet Venus in common and each story is related to other in some way. It really is a wonderful take on history where Venus bears witness to. Thank you for the wonderful review!
Pandora10
Favorite Book: Remembering Christmas
Currently Reading: The Road to Management
Bookshelf Size: 116

Post by Pandora10 »

Wow, was what I thought after reading chapter 11 has 346 pages! I enjoyed reading the narrative in the opening chapters. Each story is an adventure into the past, mixed with elements of sci-fi/fantasy type stories. I tend to agree, that it seems possible that this book could be rewritten into two or more books.
Abimbola Oladokun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abimbola-oladokun.html
Latest Review: Diabolus In Musica by Richard Rees

Post by Abimbola Oladokun »

Thank you for the review. I commend you for being able to finish this book as it is quite lengthy. Congratulations on being the BOTD.
Zainab Wasif
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainab-wasif.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Zainab Wasif »

This book seems like a blend of historical and science fiction. Another thing that strikes me is writer’s creativity in building dynamic characters and fresh story in each chapter
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 758
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Life at the Precipice by R.F. Vincent

Post by Bertha Jackson »

Understanding how the planet Venus has affected life over the years sounds interesting. Thank you for your review.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org

Return to “Historical Fiction”