Review of A Father's Love

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 296
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Review of A Father's Love

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Father's Love" by Jean DeFreese Moore.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Father’s Love: Joyous Hope by Jean DeFreese Moore is a captivating novel of historical fiction. This is the third book written by Moore that is focused on the Britt family. Although this is the third book about the Britt family, it can be read as a separate novel. It is not necessary for readers to read the books in order. The primary focus of this novel is on the character of Reid Britt. He is a federal judge in a small town, where everyone knows and respects the Britt family. The Britts are very religious. They pray together and quote scripture frequently. On occasion, Reid provides the sermon at church. Reid is very close with his father, Travis, and his children. He is generous with his time and financially for those in need.

Reid previously worked undercover in Chicago and was seriously injured as a result. He is in constant pain; however, he doesn’t want sympathy from his friends or family. Many members of his family aren’t even aware of the extent of his injuries or how they originated. The faith of the Britt family is tested repeatedly throughout the book. For example, Reid’s son, Matt, is ready to leave for college. He wants to go to Chicago. Reid is afraid to let him go. He is concerned about the dangerous elements he encountered while he was undercover there. However, he supports and respects his son’s decision. Reid’s life takes another drastic turn when he unknowingly walks into a bank during a robbery. What happens next changes the lives of the Britt family forever.

I was completely engrossed in the lives of the Britt family. The family members were multi-dimensional. They each had specific goals and personalities that separated them from the rest of the family. Even though there were many different family members introduced in the book, I never had difficulty keeping the characters separate. I especially liked the characters of Reid and Travis. As father and son, their relationship was loving and respectful. They supported and trusted each other without question. Their conversations conveyed the deep emotion that existed between the two men. The author did an excellent job of establishing the relationships between family members. They were realistic and readers will be able to relate to the positive and negative aspects of the family dynamic.

The book was filled with action and suspense. With Reid’s pre-existing health issues, there was always a concern that he would injure himself further. It was refreshing to see how the family came together to pray for a sick relative or to help one another in times of need. I won’t elaborate on exactly what happens; however, the way the family came together when needed was inspiring. There was nothing that I disliked about this book. It is filled with inspirational quotes from the Bible. Each character attends church and quotes relevant scripture throughout the day. The citations for the Bible quotes are provided in footnotes throughout the book. If a reader finds a quote interesting or inspiring, this enables them to locate the quote in the Bible for additional review.

I recommend this book to readers who enjoy inspiring novels filled with action and adventure. Readers should also take note of the significant religious content. I found that the Bible quotes fit well in the story and were inspiring. However, readers without an interest in religion or religious content may not enjoy the book. I believe the book was professionally edited because I only saw a few errors. I enjoyed reading this book. The characters were interesting, and the story was riveting. I give this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. For the reasons stated, it is deserving of a perfect score.

A Father's Love
View: on Bookshelves
TheGayOne12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thegayone12.html
Latest Review: Tarja Titan by TC Marti

Post by TheGayOne12 »

Multi-dimensional characters are one of my favorite to read about. Great review!
Demilyn Jen Solon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Demilyn Jen Solon »

i love how they a close and helping with each other its very inspiring, how i wish my family is like that who is always there when you need them. Nowadays its very rare to have a family like the britt family, mostly here in Philippines blood is no longer thicker than water, nowadays strangers help us more than our relatives, relatives only accept you when you're successful, its very sad but it ia the reality here in our country.
LucifeR_789
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by LucifeR_789 »

This book shows love of a father and I just love to read books like this
Edit_or
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edit-or.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Edit_or »

Sounds interesting. Could add it to my list of books to read on cool weekends. Thanks for the review
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

I love reading inspiring novels filled with adventures. This may be a book for me. Great review.
AbdiHafidh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abdihafidh.html
Latest Review: The White Harlequin by Daphne Tzamali- Yakinthou

Post by AbdiHafidh »

The promise of multiple protagonists in a story packed with action is too enticing a concept. Would love to read this book.
Essy Nma
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essy-nma.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Essy Nma »

Well written with enough analysis. Thanks for the review.
Pandora10
Favorite Book: Remembering Christmas
Currently Reading: The Road to Management
Bookshelf Size: 116

Post by Pandora10 »

This novel, about a close-knit family living in a small town, sounds like an inspiring story. It portrays their challenges, fears, faith and love.
Precious Amarachi Nzeakor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-amarachi-nzeakor.html
Latest Review: I'll Always Be With You by Violetta Armour

Post by Precious Amarachi Nzeakor »

Reid’s life takes another drastic turn when he unknowingly walks into a bank during a robbery. What happens next changes the lives of the Britt family forever

Oh you had me from this point!
Mmaduabuchi Eze
Favorite Book: The Maestro Monologue
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmaduabuchi-eze.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mmaduabuchi Eze »

It is a great thing to have a happy and supportive family. The Britt's family is really an inspiration to aspiring couple.
Mabosi paul brian
Currently Reading: Through my window
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Mabosi paul brian »

Wow! What a fiction it is! It sounds educative to all family members round, i lookforward to introducing this book to my family members. Great review

Return to “Historical Fiction”