Review of His Name Was David Freeman

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lucy Vera
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucy-v.html
Latest Review: Letter of Paul to the Americans by Nicholas F Mazza

Review of His Name Was David Freeman

Post by Lucy Vera »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "His Name Was David Freeman" by Ruth Kipnis.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

His Name was David Freeman by Ruth Kipnis is a historical fiction novel that explores the effects of war on the lives of both the military and the citizens. It looks at the struggles lovers go through and how genuine love conquers all.

After his father's death, David went in search of his uncle and his family living in Ukraine. He was happy tending to his uncle’s horses and the farm. When he was recruited into the army alongside his cousin, Sammy, he met a familiar face who told him about the imminent invasion that was to happen in his village.

David told his family about the imminent invasion and went in search of Miriam, his love. After telling her father about what was to happen, Miriam and David got married and left for America. Life in America wasn’t easy for both of them. Since Miriam grew up without facing struggles financially, it was a little bit difficult for her to cope. When David read about the society that gave out loans to the Jews to buy a farm, he applied for it. Was David able to get the loan? How did Miriam feel about his decision to become a farmer? How was David able to provide for his family?

This book has a lot of positive aspects. I love the way this story was written. The descriptions were beautiful. The author must be an excellent storyteller because it felt like someone was telling me a story. It was as though I was in the book. I love the characters. They were well developed. I love the beginning and end of this book. I also liked how love was the predominant theme in this book. Miriam got married to David, knowing his financial state at the time. She agreed to go to America with him leaving her parents behind. This huge sacrifice portrayed the importance of sacrifices in our love walk. Maya also got married to Hutch and agreed to stay on a Ranch with him. She made his dream her dream. I got a new understanding of love. I was emotionally connected to the characters. This is what I love most about this book. I felt bad when David made a decision that concerned Miriam without asking for her opinion. I could also understand why Miriam had to leave her friends to help David achieve his dreams.

Also, I learned about war and the effects it has on the army. After almost losing a leg in the war, Hutch decided that he wasn’t going to be a banker anymore. Finally, the language of the book was relatively easy to understand.

I wish I could say that I did not find any negative aspects in this book. However, I found a lot of grammatical errors while I read this book. So, this book was not professionally edited. This is the only negative aspect this book has. Apart from this, I enjoyed everything else about this book.

Therefore, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I didn’t give this book a lower rating because apart from the negative aspect I stated above, I enjoyed everything else about this book. I recommend this book to lovers of historical fiction and, generally, to lovers of fantasy books.

His Name Was David Freeman
View: on Bookshelves
Stephanie Kanu
Currently Reading: A dream for peace
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladywhyte3.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Stephanie Kanu »

Your review is excellently written. I can feel a connection with the characters as well. Why does Miriam love David that much? Does love have a reason to bloom asides from the mere existence of the other? I'd like to know if this book answers these questions.I Can't wait to read.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Aside from the errors, this seems like a well written book. Great review.
Patty Allread
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

How interesting that the author begins her book with David and Miriam escaping Ukraine because of an impending invasion, which is what's happening there now. Their story as a married couple sounds universal--dealing with differences in financial stability, making life-changing decisions, and discovering what it means to love and commit to someone. Thanks for your review!
TheGayOne12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thegayone12.html
Latest Review: Tarja Titan by TC Marti

Post by TheGayOne12 »

If the grammatical errors were corrected, it would be the perfect book. Excellent review!
Evelyn Bioseh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evelyn-bioseh.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Evelyn Bioseh »

I'm a fan of historical fictions and war stori es. This seems like it would be an amazing book to read if it wasn't for the grammatical errors. Great review
Sammy Kamau 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sammy-kamau-2.html
Latest Review: Radioland by m.e. Elzey

Post by Sammy Kamau 2 »

Love requires some sacrifices sometimes they seem one sided like Miriam marrying poor David, agreeing to migrate to America with him l would like to know how it ends up. Thanks for the review
nwankwo chibuchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwankwo-chibuchi.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by nwankwo chibuchi »

Wars definitely have terrible effects on all and sundry. I’d love what perspective the author came from in this book though
Mmaduabuchi Eze
Favorite Book: The Maestro Monologue
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmaduabuchi-eze.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mmaduabuchi Eze »

This book has made a great contribution to the growth and development of the society. Love is an essential thing in life. One of the ways we can prove our love is through sacrifice.
mathziia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mathziia.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by mathziia »

It's not often we see an historical fiction that includes the soldiers side !!
wmeki510
Currently Reading: How to Live a Life of Hope
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wmeki510.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by wmeki510 »

Patty Allread wrote: 07 Apr 2022, 13:11 How interesting that the author begins her book with David and Miriam escaping Ukraine because of an impending invasion, which is what's happening there now. Their story as a married couple sounds universal--dealing with differences in financial stability, making life-changing decisions, and discovering what it means to love and commit to someone. Thanks for your review!
I agree with you. And love and commitment are inseparable. Love is not just about words. Actions are needed.
wmeki510

Post by wmeki510 »

TheGayOne12 wrote: 08 Apr 2022, 02:37 If the grammatical errors were corrected, it would be the perfect book. Excellent review!
Yeah. Some grammatical errors can really spoil good books.
wmeki510

Post by wmeki510 »

mathziia wrote: 10 Apr 2022, 10:46 It's not often we see an historical fiction that includes the soldiers side !!
Really? How sure are you about this?

Return to “Historical Fiction”