Review of Kidnap Marilyn

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Faithy_Goody_Star
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithy-star.html
Latest Review: Autism: One Grandparent's Roadmap by Geoffrey Robinson

Review of Kidnap Marilyn

Post by Faithy_Goody_Star »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Kidnap Marilyn" by Alan E Diehl.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This is a historical fiction set at the time of the Kennedys—John F Kennedy and Robert F Kennedy. If these names rang any bells, Marilyn Monroe might have come to your mind as well.

Dirk Mitchell, having completed a certain task with a fellow CIA agent, James Baca, is assigned a new task based on his expertise. This new assignment was in the person of Marilyn Monroe, who was his favourite actress. Being a confidential assignment, he is told to study her indoors and state his opinions on the way forward. Based on that, a decision has to be made by the CIA. Dirk is now torn between the urge to protect his favorite actress and doing his job. What choice will Dirk make, and how will it turn out? I am sure you are already itching to find out. Get right into it, and you will not regret it for one second!

If riveting were a book, it would be Kidnap Marilyn by Alan E Diehl. The author took some historical figures and events in American history and molded them into a thrilling and engaging story. I did have feelings about these people or events. But most importantly, this book made me more fascinated by the person of Marilyn, and I have decided to dig deeper into her life.

The way the author creatively told a historical story while still having the element of suspense is commendable. I also loved that there were no dull moments. Every page kept you hooked. One of my favourite parts of this book was when Marilyn defended herself against one of her abusers. This made me appreciate the importance of learning some self-defense skills.

Mental health, rape, sexual abuse, politics, and misogyny are themes in this book. The presence and even intersection of some of these topical issues or concepts were illuminating, and you will sympathize or empathize with the victims.

Now, at a point, this book revolved mostly around the lives of Dirk, Marilyn, and a few other people. I did not find this horrible at all. However, I was curious about what was happening on the other side of the world—the agency, America, and all the politics involved. This left a sort of longing in my heart, as I didn't see much of it. I wouldn’t want to go further to give details since I’m avoiding giving out spoilers. As much as we could regard this as a complaint, it is merely a reader’s yearning, which did not substantially affect my enjoyment of this book.

Regarding the editing, I did see some errors. As a result, this book was professionally edited. Since I do not have any substantial complaints about this book, but only positive ones, I will award it four out of four stars. Lovers of historical fiction will appreciate this book. As a result, I recommend it to them.

Kidnap Marilyn
View: on Bookshelves
Aisha Yakub
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

As a fan of historical fiction, I think I should enjoy reading this. Great review.
Patty Allread
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

The Kennedy era and the mystique of ultra-famous Marilyn Monroe are the perfect premises for this type of book. Good review!
Amiczy Heaven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amiczy-heaven.html
Latest Review: Living the Beatitudes by Gary L. Engstrom

Post by Amiczy Heaven »

I do hope he made the right decision, it does look like a tough one, but I hope he chose right.
Itz Savaga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bright-ukaegbu.html
Latest Review: Parent-Child Guide To Coping with Anxiety by Dessy Marinova

Post by Itz Savaga »

Fans of historical fiction should jump on this one
Elijah0007
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elijah0007.html
Latest Review: Korian: Ark of the Fallen King by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Elijah0007 »

Quite the captivating storyline. I love it when the protagonists are thrown into a quandary. Thanks for the review.
Chesko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chesko.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Chesko »

This book seems quite rich in history. Thanks for the lovely review.
Mmaduabuchi Eze
Favorite Book: The Maestro Monologue
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmaduabuchi-eze.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mmaduabuchi Eze »

Self-defence is a right that should be backed with appropriate knowledge. Marilyn's boldness in defending herself should be an eye-opener to all the fearful.
zekgeh
Currently Reading: Dark Matter Empire (Book 1)
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zekgeh.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior by Antoine Bonner

Post by zekgeh »

A choice to protect his favorite actress and do his job. I hope Dirk makes the right choice.
wmeki510
Currently Reading: How to Live a Life of Hope
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wmeki510.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by wmeki510 »

Limitless_66 wrote: 09 Apr 2022, 22:02 Fans of historical fiction should jump on this one
Yeah; and we move.
wmeki510
Currently Reading: How to Live a Life of Hope
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wmeki510.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by wmeki510 »

This review is highly inspiring and informative. Self defence is a right that must not be compromised.
Stevenmusk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevenmusk.html
Latest Review: Under the Blue Moon by Joan Schweighardt

Post by Stevenmusk »

This book seems interesting and captivating with a unique plot. I look forward to reading it. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”