Review of Last of the Annamese

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
José Cortez
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jos-cortez.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Golden Door (Audiobook Version) by Ali Master

Review of Last of the Annamese

Post by José Cortez »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Last of the Annamese" by Tom Glenn.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Last of the Annamese is an amazing book by Tom Glenn. This is a thrilling book that talks about the horrors that ensued during the final collapse of Vietnam. The book contains everything, from drama to suspense, to tragedy and even horror. The book gives you surreal emotions; it feels like you're living in such an era yourself and going through these experiences. The author talks about the horrors of war and how it affects people's lives. He uses certain characters to portray the troubles that the citizens, government, and soldiers went through during the groundbreaking war in Vietnam.

This book also shows the desperate attempt of a mother trying to protect her son and an American Marine named Chuck, who has lost everything. Nevertheless, he tries to save Vietnam from ruin. Did he succeed with this mission? What did he find in Vietnam?

I found a lot of positive aspects in this book. The author starts his story by introducing certain characters like Chuck and his friend, Ike, who were trying to save a child in the orphanage. The author talked about the war between South and North Vietnam and the series of events that played amongst the powerful military men in Vietnam following the war. The author also used this book to talk about the corrupt and wicked ways of men in power. The people of Vietnam are doing their best to stay alive. He uses the character, Chuck, to depict the immense pain one goes through during war.

I found this book very interesting, and I enjoyed reading it. I love the storyline of the book and how the author narrated it. It felt like I was watching a movie. I love how the author could portray the raw sadistic emotion of Chuck when he found out Tuyet stayed back; it even made me want to cry. I loved how the characters interacted with each other. I love the suspense and plot twists. I also love the Thanh character; he was a great leader with a great heart. He was also a great husband and father, but circumstances came upon his family, and he understood that. The book also enriched my vocabulary too. 

The only negative aspect of this book is Tuyet's character. There was nothing spectacular about her. I felt she was not properly developed.

Although I found errors in the book, it was well edited. I would rate the book 4 out of 4 because it was really good, and the errors didn't affect the storyline in any way. It was still satisfactory. 

I recommend this book to lovers of thrilling books and people who enjoy the horrific stories of war. Lovers of horror and romance would also enjoy this.

Last of the Annamese
View: on Bookshelves
nwankwo chibuchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwankwo-chibuchi.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by nwankwo chibuchi »

It'll be great to read about the horrors that ensued during the final collapse of Vietnam.
Ifesi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ifesi.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Ifesi »

This review sounds interesting. The author did a nice job in presenting the book to be interesting and easy to understand.Thanks for a wonderful and intriguing review. Looking forward to reading this book.
Joy Mwangi 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-mwangi-2.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Joy Mwangi 2 »

Although am not a great fan of horror, this might just be my starting point. The reviewer makes this book interesting and I now I feel like reading it to know more.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Lovers of thrillers should enjoy reading this. Great review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”