Review of On the Precipice of the Labyrinth

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Review of On the Precipice of the Labyrinth

Post by Kennedy NC »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "On the Precipice of the Labyrinth" by Brian Snowden.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Armed with nothing but sufficient knowledge of the Spanish language, William Benning embarks on a journey to gain exposure and explore a foreign country. Having been raised in a modest environment, he has a thirst for adventure, and despite the brewing war in Spain and warnings from his father, he decides to go anyway.

On the Precipice of the Labyrinth by Brian Snowden is a detailed account of William’s journey through different locations till he reaches his destination. He sets out on this journey wholly alone and decides to explore the historic civilization he has always dreamed of visiting. He finally arrives after working odd jobs and hitching rides. Then he also discovers that there is more to the conflict in the country than meets the eye. Will his father’s warnings prove to be true or absolute rumors? What will he find upon his arrival? Find out more in this compelling story.

I found some positive aspects in the book. There is a significant appreciation of different beliefs and cultures. The writer was able to construct an elaborate plot in a manner that includes the importance of various aspects of customs from countries like France and Spain. For example, the book provides some insight into the scenery, language, and food of Spain. I also appreciate the accurate translations of foreign languages, making my reading a more worthwhile experience.

There is also a significant theme in the book about the importance of politics. Though the book is set in the early twentieth century, it already grasps a rough idea of the manner of leadership used within that period. There was also a certain depth in the characters in this book. They were well-rounded, and their emotions were clearly and adequately portrayed. By the end of the book, some characters like William had experienced a certain level of growth and development, which was not present at the beginning.

I also discovered certain negative aspects in this book. There were a lot of errors in the book, which shows proof of poor editing. It also made certain areas challenging to understand. Another negative aspect would be the mixup of Spanish and English in the book. Most of the book is entirely said to be in Spanish but is written in English. At the same time, some of it is written in Spanish, with translations in English. It was initially difficult to understand this situation. This is an issue because it caused a little confusion while I was reading.

For the reasons listed above, I rate this book three out of four stars. I believe the passion and drive that motivated the characters, paired with the hope for a better future, made this book an exciting read. I recommend it to anyone interested in books concerning history and travel. I also recommend it to those who enjoy adventure books.

On the Precipice of the Labyrinth
View: on Bookshelves
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

I hope this book receives another round of editing cause it seems like a good read. Great review.
nwankwo chibuchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwankwo-chibuchi.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by nwankwo chibuchi »

I'd love to read about William's adventure and to find out if his father's warnings were true or not. Good review.
Itz Savaga
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bright-ukaegbu.html
Latest Review: Parent-Child Guide To Coping with Anxiety by Dessy Marinova

Post by Itz Savaga »

This looks like a really interesting read, would love to know what happened with William and what he found out. I would love to read this book . Thanks for the review.
HEPBURNS RECORDS
Currently Reading: Kaleidoscopic Shades
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hepburns-records.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by HEPBURNS RECORDS »

Thank you for sharing your thoughtful review of "On the the Precipice of the Labyrinth " by Brian Snowden. It’s great to hear that the book provided insights into different cultures and beliefs, as well as explored the theme of politics in the early 20th century. It's also commendable that the characters were well-rounded and experienced growth throughout the story. However, it's unfortunate to hear about the errors in the book and the mixup for Spanish and English, which cause some confusion. Overall, your review provides a well-rounded assessment of the book and helps potential readers determine if it's the right fit for them.

Return to “Historical Fiction”