Review of Outlaws, Renegades, and Prickly Pear Jam

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 757
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Life at the Precipice by R.F. Vincent

Review of Outlaws, Renegades, and Prickly Pear Jam

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Outlaws, Renegades, and Prickly Pear Jam" by Jerry Bustin.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Outlaws, Renegades, and Prickly Pear Jam: Clayton Banner, Arizona Ranger by Jerry Bustin is a historical-fiction novel about U.S. Federal Marshal Clayton (Clay) Banner's fight against outlaws and renegades in southeastern Arizona. Clay's position was also an opportunity for Clay to find the outlaws who murdered his first wife and son. The only clue he had was a broken piece of a turquoise and silver concho he found in his dead wife's hand. He joins forces with his blood brother, Eagle Feather, to make the territory safer and free of corruption. They not only have to fight Paiutes, Arapahos, Hopis, and Mexican Banditos but also town deputies. Are they successful in bringing peace to the Arizona territory? At what price does peace come? Does Clay find the murderers of his first family? What is Prickly Pear Jam?

Jerry Bustin did a fantastic job describing the demographics in this book. I could easily visualize the blooming desert cactus and rivers surrounded by weeping willows, aspens, and cottonwood trees. I could easily see the footprints showing a hole in the bottom of a shoe and a body stuffed into a privy. All the characters in this novel are fully developed. I could feel Molly's insecurities when Clay left town after their daughter was born. Life during this time was dangerous, and death was just around every corner. It was common for children to be kidnapped and raised by Native Americans. I appreciate the author showing that although the Native Americans were people to be feared, many were friendly and helped keep the country safe.

The lack of professional editing is the only negative aspect of this book. The book has a fast-paced and smooth-flowing plot, but my reading was distracted by the many errors that a professional editor would have found.

The errors are the only reason this exciting book did not receive the full rating. The lack of professional editing gave me no choice but to give it 3 out of 4 stars. There was no reason to give it fewer stars because there were no other negative aspects.

Mature readers who enjoy reading westerns about the history of the Arizona territory are the ones I recommend this book to. Sensitive readers need to be aware there is religious, gory, and non-descriptive sexual content and non-borderline profanity in this book. Although the characters say prayers and believe in God, the spiritual content is minimal and general in context, and I do not think most readers will be offended by it.

Outlaws, Renegades, and Prickly Pear Jam
View: on Bookshelves
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Okoye Chinonso+
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Spare Time Novels
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinonso-okoye.html
Latest Review: Yonder's Quest by Kyle Robertson
fav_author_id: 156444

Post by Okoye Chinonso+ »

What a heartfelt book. Witnessing your first family die would have really been traumatising, yet he wasn't swallowed by grief, nor was his judgment clouded with revenge.
Thanks for the review, it was great.
I believe that great success is possible in any field - From music to mathematics to macro trading.
Ifesi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ifesi.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Ifesi »

What an interesting story. Thanks for an honest review.
Itz Savaga
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bright-ukaegbu.html
Latest Review: Parent-Child Guide To Coping with Anxiety by Dessy Marinova

Post by Itz Savaga »

It's good that Clayton made his territory corrupt free, because corruption is one of the things that could bring downfall to a person or an organization, I would love to read this book to find out if Clayton and his brother found out the person who murdered his first wife and if he maintained the corrupt free territory. Great review.
Christopherio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christopherio.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by Christopherio »

historical fiction is not really my thing but it has an interesting story. thanks for the review.
Uwe Neufeld
Favorite Author: Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Favorite Book: Treasure Island
Currently Reading: Reconfigurement
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uwe-neufeld.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
fav_author_id: 3039

Post by Uwe Neufeld »

I have read true stories of the Wild West and it struck the sense of justice of the ordinary settler. They took theire rifles and out they went to hunt the robbers. So why wouldn't the indians help to fight the outlaws?
Nice review!

Return to “Historical Fiction”