Review of Jesse Caulder Book l

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Vivian Stones
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-stones.html
Latest Review: The Silicon Divide by Danielle Nowell

Review of Jesse Caulder Book l

Post by Vivian Stones »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Jesse Caulder Book l" by J. Christensen.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

While the world has come very far from gender discrimination and women's subjugation, it had become easier to forget about a time when women were hardly considered human enough and were treated little more than dogs. I'm talking about when women's rights were a fantasy and children's, no better.

Jon Christensen's Jesse Caulder Book I is a book set just after the American Civil War. In fifteen chapters, Jon Christensen vividly captures the hardships women faced as well as the struggle of one woman to set right the world. The book begins with the comfortable life of Jesse, her husband, their son, and their grandfather. Her world is destroyed, however, when five riders murder her family and horribly abuse her in one night. Left almost dead, she manages to gather enough strength and gets up again. She begins setting her house in order with only the thoughts of her plan of revenge to keep her going. Soon after, she sets out with the plan of bringing vengeance and justice to every man responsible for her family's murder. Beginning a journey of change, she travels dangerous roads leaving carnage and revolution in her wake. She, however, is entangled with the law when she runs into the Marshall after the same gang. Does her quest for vengeance become fulfilled? Or is she made to dance to the tunes of the law?

I absolutely loved reading this book, and it had a lot of positive points to it. Firstly, this book perfectly demonstrates how change can be a one-man (or one-woman) thing and how anybody can begin a change, no matter how little. Also, this book captures the reality of the sufferings of women in times past, serving as a reminder of the need to keep fighting for equality. It also highlights how far the world and the law have come. Again, this book is filled with morals for almost everyone. Finally, this book was professionally edited. I could only find an error in it.

This book was beautifully written as well, and I could find no negative aspect in it. There was absolutely nothing to dislike about this book. Therefore, I give this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I did not rate it lower because this book is a splendid work of fiction, and it resonates vividly with the reader.

I would recommend this book to every woman looking for a reason to continue the fight for gender equality. I'd also recommend it to any person interested in the history of women's rights.

Jesse Caulder Book l
View: on Bookshelves
Uwe Neufeld
Favorite Author: Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Favorite Book: Treasure Island
Currently Reading: Reconfigurement
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uwe-neufeld.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
fav_author_id: 3039

Post by Uwe Neufeld »

A woman as the Avenger (older folks will remember the movie), not a bad Idea!
By the way, as things were at that time, nobody would suspect of her.
Very good review!
Sopulu Ezidimma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ezidimma-01.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Sopulu Ezidimma »

I think am liking this book, Did she get her revenge? I believe it was the revenge in heart that kept her going. Great review
WriteOn
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writeon.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by WriteOn »

I think you've conveyed the powerful message of this book explicitly in your review Fine Brand; I admire that.
Soon after, she sets out with the plan of bringing vengeance and justice to every man responsible for her family's murder. Beginning a journey of change, she travels dangerous roads leaving carnage and revolution in her wake.

I'd like to read more and discover how (or if) she achieves her quest for revenge against the men who probably committed such heinous crimes with a sense of right and impunity.
Thank you.

Return to “Historical Fiction”