Review of There Came a Contagion

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
José Cortez
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jos-cortez.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Golden Door (Audiobook Version) by Ali Master

Review of There Came a Contagion

Post by José Cortez »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "There Came a Contagion" by Doug Ingold.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There Came a Contagion is a book by Doug Ingold. It is an interesting book about the complicated yet straightforward life of Elsebett Hegel and her family. The author talked about the tragic event that surrounded her birth. The author also talked about the good, the bad, and the worst days. She talks about the contagion that befalls the city in which they live. But what exactly is the contagion? How has it affected society and generations ahead?

The author of this book talks about the life of Basil Helgen and his wife, Arden. The book starts off with the beautiful life they had with their son. And later, we find out she is pregnant with another. Now is this news a delight to the family or not? What is the faith of this baby? How is the baby related to the contagion?

The first positive aspect I found in this book is the relationship between the family. I love how their family is always together no matter what. I loved Basil and how he was such a great father and leader to his old and new families. No matter how much grief and pain he went through, he still provided. I also loved how hardworking he was. I love how the author talked about the origin of the contagion. I found it interesting. I love how his words were clear and precise, and easy to understand. I also like the superficial story of witches and witchcraft in society. 

The negative aspect I found in this book was that I didn't really like how the author told his story. The way or style he wrote his story made some parts vague and not really easy to comprehend. I also found it repetitive too. Also, I wouldn't say I liked the fact that I didn't learn any new words from the book. And also, I don't know if I missed it, but I think the author missed the part where he tells us the name of the city or place the book is talking about. 

I found a lot of errors in the book; I would say this book was not professionally edited. I would rate the book 3 out of 4 because, yes, the errors did affect the flow and rhythm of the book, and I didn't really find the book that interesting or satisfactory.

I recommend this book to persons who are into documentaries and people who are into superficial stories. People who believe in witches and witchcraft would enjoy this book.

There Came a Contagion
View: on Bookshelves
Okoye Chinonso+
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Spare Time Novels
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinonso-okoye.html
Latest Review: Yonder's Quest by Kyle Robertson
fav_author_id: 156444

Post by Okoye Chinonso+ »

An earnest father who would stop at nothing to provide for his family is how a true father should be.
The book sounds a bit average though, with no mind blowing or captivating scenes.
However, it was a great review. Thanks
Last edited by Okoye Chinonso+ on 06 May 2022, 02:26, edited 1 time in total.
I believe that great success is possible in any field - From music to mathematics to macro trading.
Okoye Chinonso+
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Spare Time Novels
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinonso-okoye.html
Latest Review: Yonder's Quest by Kyle Robertson
fav_author_id: 156444

Post by Okoye Chinonso+ »

If you're looking to learn new words, I'll recommend Darksoul by L. Brooks.
It's filled with so many vocabularies it had to lose a star for it :lol2: :lol2:
I believe that great success is possible in any field - From music to mathematics to macro trading.
Edit_or
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edit-or.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Edit_or »

Sounds interesting. Would love to read. Thank you.
Blessing E
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-e.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Blessing E »

I will love to read this. I appreciate well written reviews. This is because it gives me an idea of how to structure my reviews subsequently. Thanks teaching me what a good review is. And congratulations for having your review published.

Return to “Historical Fiction”